Is racism on the rise in our country?

We see it in videos of shootings, we see it on the news, we see it in our news-feed on social media, some of us see it when we walk down the street.  There are many different people, from different races, that live in different states, that experience the same thing; racism and prejudice. New studies give us stats that show almost half of the Americans, 49%, say that racism isn't only still alive and well, it's a very big issue. And this doesn't just go for blacks. This country is home to plenty of other races, religions, etc.

When asked about racism in the United States, 2% refused to answer, 7% said it's not a problem at all, 9% said it's just a small problem, 33% said it's still somewhat of an issue, and the other 49% said they believe it's a big issue.

I believe racism/prejudice/discrimination are still a problem here, and that may very well be the way it will always be. What do you think?

Is racism on the rise in the US? Are we blind to this? Are we ever going to be equal or is this a problem that's been blown out of proportion? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Again, be sure to reply to student comments.

• With some people, racism is a big problem. But, most of the people in the US aren't racist. Think of all the people that get shot by police everyday. Now think how often you see a new video of an unarmed man getting shot by an officer. Once every few months right? Most officers are not racist but yes there are a few.

• Racism has never left. It is a disease that can't be cured from humanity. Ever since a man of different skin or religion walked this Earth, people have had problems. I will say that we have come a long way in this country. Since the ending of slavery and the civil rights movement. America is the melting pot of all races and religions, and you can't stop people from feeling different about each other. And something that doesn't help is all the politically correctness. That just feeds more hate and racism into people's minds. 

• No I think it is declining.No we have been taking precautions. No I dont think so.

• I think that racism is a big issue and it needs to be fixed. I would have though since we have a black president, he would have tried and helped the blacks  

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker