Is owning animals/pets ethical?

When you go into the average American household, you are most likely to see some sort of pet. Most people believe that owning a pet is “normal”. Some even say that their pet is treated better than they are. There is a big debate on whether owning a pet/animal is ethically wrong. PETA has been a huge side in this debate.

Some associations, like PETA, believe that is ethically wrong to own a pet. They claim that animals shouldn’t be used for “human entertainment”. They believe that owning animals manipulates their bodies, behaviors, and emotional responses. According to them, they should be given the right to live in their natural habits and use their natural behavior. PETA is actively trying to stop the use of animals for human consumption and entertainment.

Other associations and people, state that owning pets/animals is perfectly ethical. They say that it allows them to have a loving, safe home and provides them with a happy life. It provides protection for domestic animals that wouldn’t be able to survive in their natural environment. Most domestic animals, like dogs, actively choose to be around humans. The bonds these animals create with humans are a good thing. Pets enjoy the attention, and like a safe and loving environment. 

I personally believe that owning animals and pets is completely ethical if cared for correctly. These domestic animals are already domesticated. There is no way we could put them back into the wild and expect them to survive. These animals have learned to rely on us, just as much as we rely on them. Not only do we provide a lot for these domesticated pets but they provide a lot for us too. Overall, I don’t agree with PETA or any of the associations similar to it.

Do you believe that owning animals/pets is ethical? Why?

What are your opinions on PETA’s side of this debate?

Do you own any animals/pets? And what do they do for you?

Sources:

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that having pets is ethical because now that they are domestic animals. If they were not domesticated then we couldn't have them as animals and because they are then they rely on humans. Also another side to this would be any seeing eye dogs or emotional support animals and everything like that.

• I think that owning a pet is ethical but only if the owners are treating them right. I think that if you give them all of the neccesities that they need to survive then you should be able to have a pet. If you abuse or starve an animal I think you should be punished and taken away the right to own a pet. 

• I agree that animal abusers should be punished. If you properly take care of your pet, then it's completely ethical to own them.

• If you just want to have a pet in order to have a pet, I think it is the most ethical if you get it from an animal shelter. There are so many animals looking for a home. For example, some dog breeds got bred in a way that they have trouble breathing etc. and I don't think that that is ethical. Personally, I wouldn't get a pet from a breeder. 

• I agree that a lot of abuse happens when breeding some pets. I think that PETA should focus more on stuff like that instead of attacking pet owners.

• I think that owning a pet is perfectly ethical. Both the human and the pet bring something to the relationship, but both have the negatives as well. Humans will love the animal, and if that animal was not being taken care of by a human, their life could be so much worse. My opinion on PETA is the aniamsl might not be able to live outside of living with a human. I have one dog, and she doesn't do much for me, but she's fun to have around.

• I believe that owing a pet is ethical because it is how domestic animals have been for a long time and most people treat them good. I don't personally agree with PETA because as you said, there wouldn't be a lot of chances for them to survive if we but them bacj in the wild. I don't have any pets or animals.

• I agree that most people treat them good. I think PETA's side of this debate just isn't logical and putting them back into the wild would never work.

• I think owning an animal or a pet is ethical because the owners, most of the time, take good care of it and have it for a long time. They give the animal food, water, shelter, companionship, and an environment where they can survive. I have one dog and she helps me unwind at the end of a long day and release stress.

• I think that as long as the pet is treated correctly and given necessary things for survival then owning a pet is fine. But there are still people who abuse and deprive their pet of necessity's making un safe to own a pet. I don't think that the people of peta should really be involved in the owning of pets. I have 3 dogs and we treat them with respect.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker