Is Online Schooling More Effective than In-person?

Online school started around the late 1900s. The first online school was a class at a college that was broadcasted in 1953. Online classes on the computer started in 1989. Today 1 in every 4 college students is registered in at least one college course. 

Taking online classes gives students time to work at their own pace. Online classes also help people have time to earn a college degree while working full-time and away from campus. People like online classes for the reasons of class flexibility, self-discipline, and money.

People like the class flexibility because they get to choose when to take the course during their day. Self-discipline is also helpful with online classes as students will have more independence and control over their education. Sometimes people don’t have money to pay for traditional dorm rooms, books, gas, laundry, meals, and classes. So while working on classes online they can still have a full-time job. Statistics show that 77% of academic teachers think online education is equal to physical education. 

With traditional school, you have less control over how your schedule looks. If your school doesn't have many extra classes to help with the degree you want to receive, you have to fill your schedule with study halls or other classes. In-person schools can also be a difficult thing for the community, if you go to a school that gets a lot of snow and ice over the winter it can be dangerous. With online school, you have more control over how your schedule looks because there are more options for classes online. With online schools, you can do the work from your room and don’t have to worry about the commute with dangerous conditions.

In my opinion, if Harlan offered online classes I feel I would take them. I think I would have more of a variety of classes to choose from that would help me with the degree I want to receive. Some people learn better with in-person schooling and others would learn better with online classes. People like online classes due to the fact they get to choose their classes and the independence that come with them. Others like in-person classes due to the fact they are listening to what the teacher is teaching. Classes in person can make it harder for distractions to appear. 

If you had a choice to do online school would you take it? And why?

Do you think you would do better with in-person schooling or online? And why?

Do you think all schools should offer online classes?

Sources: https://www.onlineschools.org/visual-academy/the-history-of-online-schooling/

https://www.goodwin.edu/enews/online-classes-vs-traditional-classes/#:~:text=Today%2C%20about%201%20in%20 every,learn%20butter%20 via%20online%20classes.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and super job Olivia!

• If I had the choice to pick I would pick to be schooled in person. At home, I feel like would cause more time for distractions and wouldn't learn as much. But, in school you don't have as many distractions and are able to learn better. I think all schools should off online classes because some people might not prefer in person teaching

• If I had a choice, I would not do online school because in person is better because you are able to be with other students. I think I would be better with in person schooling bacause I can talk to the teacher and ask other students if I have questions easier. I think schools should offer online classes, but not make them mandatory, so you have a choice.

• I think if we had the choice of online and in person I would just pick the in person for the fact that you would be able to interact with other students and be more in valued in school. But for some people it could be the opposite way I think that if schools would offer it they couldn't do test online in my oppion just for the fact you can do so much more cheating easier.

• If I had the option of taking online school or taking it in person I would personally choose in person instead. I think that if I took online school it would be more convenient but I wouldn't pay attention and wouldn't learn anything from it. I think all schools should have the option to offer kids some online classes but not all.

• Personally I would not take take online schooling if i was offered to do it. I think that getting help from teachers and learning it in person has more benefits then doing everything yourself. Also you socialize and that helps you later in life such as jobs you have.

• I missed out on so much with online schooling, if I had the choice to pick online or in school learning I would choose in school. I think that its easer than bing at home with all the distractions while for the most part teachers keep you on track.

• Personally, if I had the choice to continue my schooling online, I would not. I personally do not think that I would be able to learn the material as well online, in comparisson to in person learning. I think that it could not hurt for schools to offer online, but I would not take advantage of it.

• I would take online classes because I like having controll over what classes I take. I feel I would do good in both, over the Covid years, I completed majority of the online classes. I believe that all schools should offer online classes. 

• I think that in person schooling is by far better than online learning. You can have the in perosn contact with your teacher and get one on one help. I think that some classes in harlan are online like some of the college ones and they can get help from teachers in person.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker