Is Making Betty White Day on Jan. 17th Racist?

There has been new controversy arising due to the death of Betty White. She died a couple of weeks before her 100th birthday party. She was a great entertainer and had one of the longest carriers as a female entertainer. People know her for being a positive goofy person. Many people, including myself, know her from the series Golden Girls.

Now, this new controversy started when there was a post made by Troy Powell. (Look below for the screenshot). He basically says he wants to make a National Betty White day on her birthday to celebrate her life and to be kind to others. Some people took offense to this because Betty White’s birthday is Jan. 17th. Martin Luther King day is also Jan. 17th this year. Keep in mind that MLK day is the third Monday of January. So that means MLK day would not always occur on the 17th, and his actual birthday was on the 15th.

In my opinion, I think Betty White day was brought up with good intentions. It was to spread kindness and celebrate an Icon. It was not brought up to take away from MLK’s light. We all know how important MLK is, and so does Betty. I also feel that if MLK were here today he would be happy to share this day with Betty occasionally. He wanted everyone to join together and be equal, and I don’t think he would’ve thought anyone was putting this day in place to hurt him. 

Why do you think Betty White day should or shouldn't be celebrated?

What day do you think Betty White day should be on?

Do you think Betty White is racist? Why or why not?

9994880883?profile=RESIZE_710x

9994881084?profile=RESIZE_710x

9994881278?profile=RESIZE_710x

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Interesting topic and well done Kara!

• I think that there is a large amount of people that know Betty White, but not everyone does. Making Betty White day on MLK day won't affect that many people. I think Betty white day won't be as big of a deal as MLK day. I don't think it's racist at all though. I do wonder why they wouldn't just make the day on the day she passed away.

• I feel that no one was trying to be racist while making Betty White day. I think social media twists things around and makes it a bigger deal than what it is. I don't even think they meant to put it on the same day as MLK day, because MLK day changes the day it's on every year.

• If they made the 17th Betty White day it wouldn't take away from MLK day. MLK day is  a part of history that will be taught to students forever and everyone will know who MLK is. MLK day isn't always on the 17th so the days won't always be on the same day they will switch by each year. The 17th should be Betty White day it makes the most sence to celebrate her on her birthday.

• I think that people are taking this the wrong way. Betty White was known for being a good person. She was known for her comedic work. In all I think people are just not seeing that this is just people celebrating or mourning a good person.

• I do not think that making Betty White day over the same day as MLK day would be racist. MLK day is not on the 17th every single year anyways, they would only fall on the same date every so often. I think the people who are saying this is racist, are only doing it to spark controversy. Betty White day is to spread kindness, that means to spread it to white, black, anybody, so this wouldn't be racist at all.

• I do not think that trying to make January 17th a day to honor and remember Betty White is at all racist and I don't think anyone who supports this is trying to be racist either.  I do not think just because her last name is "White" makes her at all racist. I do think thought that she should have a day to honor her memory.

• I believe that no one is trying to be racist here. We are just trying to remeber an icon and just because her last name is White it does not have anything to do with racisim. She deserves to have a day dedicated to her. I don't understand why people would make a big deal and call it racist.

• Personally, I think that it would not be racist to have Betty White day on her birthday. I also find it quite stupid how people are bringing up the fact that her last name is "White" when truly, that has not a single thing to do with this. She was always known as a very very positive women and she should not be disrespected like this.

• i do not think it is racist. they are just picking a day to remember her. Just because her last name is "white" shouldn't be racist or have anything to do about them trying to find a day to remember her. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker