Is Lecanemab a safe treatment for Alzheimers?

Eisai and biogen are creating a new Alzheimer's treatment called Lecanemab. Lecanemab’s main purpose is to eliminate or dissolve the amyloid, which is one of the things thatcan cause Alzheimers, during the early stages to prevent worse effects from it. 

Some pros about Lecanemab is that it has been proven to be effective in reducing cognitive and functional declines. All of the key secondary endpoints for the FDA to approve it were met, and it created high statistical rates. 

Some cons about Lecanemab are it can cause bleeding in the brain, swelling, and trials have shown that it can be associated with higher rates of preventing success. 

I personally think that it can be helpful when it comes to Alzheimers but it also seems super risky to use since it can cause bleeding, swelling, and doesn’t seem to be very successful. I wouldn’t use it just because of what the risks of it are and because it doesn’t seem to help much or be successful.  

Do you think its safe to use? 

Would you personally use it if you had Alzheimers?  

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• So your topic is good but you didn't reply to any student comments which is worth 30 points. It is also a day late.

• I think that is could be dangerous to people with alzheimers. I think that it could be affective or deadly. I would not want to use this on people who might not ever get better. Or medical staff know that this would would not be effective for a certian patient.

• I think the fact that it can potentially cause bleeding in the brain than it should not even be considered as a treatment because that alone is far worse than not being able to remember anything. Considering the fact that it does not even work 100% of the time I would absolutely never consider using this personaly nor would I ever recommend unless doctors fine a way to fix the side effects into not happening.

• With all of those side effects /After Effects I see that it has higher risk killing off a patient with a very risky low success rate medication that has been tested Berry Whittle and and then just saying oh well let's adjust the serum a little bit it's just not a very ethical practice I don't think so I don't think we should be doing anything with that kind of stuff but you can't move forward without that kind of testing so it's very much a sensitive area of Medicine

• I think that it might be safe to use but some people can get it at a really young age how will it affect them over a long period of time and maybe not affect old people before they die? I would try it to see if it would help or work. 

• I think that is not safe to use because of what it is. I think if you are crazy enough to use it then it's your choice. I also think that if you have it then it would be a different opion cause if its gonna save my life then obviously im gonna try to use it.

• In my opinion, I don't think that lecanemab is the safest to use, but then some people are gonna be willing to try the product and see if it really works. If I had Alzheimer's I would posibly try it.

• In my personal opinion, I don't think that lecanemab is the safest to use, but some people are willing to try it and have hope for it. If I had Alzheimer's I would probably try this treatment too. I would try this new medicine because there is currently no cure for Alzheimer's at the moment. 

• I don't think it's safe because the side effects don't seem little. I would not use it if I had alzheimers. It's main purpose is what casues it. I'm sure there are people out there that would still use it.

• It seems like it met all the safety standards for this kind of medicine. Furthermore, you also mentioned high statistical rates. I think that almost every medicine has some side effects - some might be more risky than other. In my view, it comes down to the person and situation because it is different every single. I would consider how bad the situation is without the medicine and if there are other treatments that could work. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker