Is Lecanemab a safe treatment for Alzheimers?

Eisai and biogen are creating a new Alzheimer's treatment called Lecanemab. Lecanemab’s main purpose is to eliminate or dissolve the amyloid, which is one of the things thatcan cause Alzheimers, during the early stages to prevent worse effects from it. 

Some pros about Lecanemab is that it has been proven to be effective in reducing cognitive and functional declines. All of the key secondary endpoints for the FDA to approve it were met, and it created high statistical rates. 

Some cons about Lecanemab are it can cause bleeding in the brain, swelling, and trials have shown that it can be associated with higher rates of preventing success. 

I personally think that it can be helpful when it comes to Alzheimers but it also seems super risky to use since it can cause bleeding, swelling, and doesn’t seem to be very successful. I wouldn’t use it just because of what the risks of it are and because it doesn’t seem to help much or be successful.  

Do you think its safe to use? 

Would you personally use it if you had Alzheimers?  

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• In my opinion, I dont think it is the safest to use. But there are lots of people who are willingly to risk their life and other things to test it and see if other people are safe to use it. If i had alzheimers I dont think i would use this because i dont want all of those problems but who knows it might help.

• In my opinion, I don't think that it is the safest treatment to use. But if there people out there willing to risk that they should be able to use it. If i personally had alzheimers i feel like i wouldn't use it because i don't want all of those complications.

• In my opinion, I don't think that it is the safest to use but if people are willing to risk that then they should be able to use it.  If I had Alzheimer's I don't think I would use this medication. I personally work with people that have Alzheimer's and if you would ask them if they wanted this they wouldn't understand what it is and why they need it. A lot of people will deny that they have a problem like Alzheimer's. 

• I think that if people are ok with using lecanemab to help with their Alzheimers, they should use it, but they should be informed about the risks. If I had Alzheimers I don't think I would use it because of all of the risks and low success rates. 

• I think that if a person has to risk their life for a 50/50 product then it probably shouldn't be tried. But if people are giving their lives to trying to figure out the kinks in the solution then go for it. But if I had alzheimers I would just live out my life or have someone just finish what the disease started.

• I dont think that it is the safest to use but if people are willing to risk that then they should be able to use it. If I had Alzeimers I would personally not use it because of all of the bad side effects. I think that later in the future they will come up with with better ways to treat Alzheimers. 

• Considering all of the side affects of this medication, it does not seem very safe for people, especially people with Alzheimers to use. Most medications have many side effects though, so depending on how common they are, maybe it does work. If I had Alzheimers I don't think I would use this medication. 

• I believe that yes it could be very successful, but if it has such bad risks then it might not be a very smart procedure to do and its probably not worth the risk. If the people that thought of this I idea worked with it a little more and found ways to make it a little less dangerous then, yes I believe that it would be a great idea. All in all, no I don’t think it is safe to use right now, but maybe sometime in the future if they work with it a little more then maybe its could be.

• It may not be safe to use but if people are willing to risk their lives to remember then let them do it. I'm not sure if I would use it if I had Alzeimers because I would want to remember what my life was like instead of knowing just a little bit, but at the same time I wouldn't want to use it because I don't want to get bad results.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker