The history of Santa Claus goes back 100s of years. It is rooted from the legend of St. Nicholas, a man who spread his wealth by giving to the poor and sick. Today Santa is portrayed as a large man in red, who flies a magical sleigh around the world, (with the help of his reindeer),  and delivers presents on Christmas night. Children are told all throughout the year to be well-behaved so they don't end up on  Santa's “naughty list”. Many children grow up believing this legend, leaving out cookies for Santa, writing him letters, etc. The real question is when a child asks their parent “Is Santa real” should they lie? 

Some believe that lying to children about Santa's existence is a “cruel idea” or “morally wrong”. At a certain point, kids begin to recognize reality vs fantasy, and Some worry when they do they will feel hurt or betrayed for being lied to. Research shows that “kids who are lied to by their parents are more likely to lie themselves.” However, Others believe that the idea of Santa is fun, magical, and a completely harmless lie. It is meant to bring Christmas joy while encouraging kids to behave.

I think that it is ok for parents to lie about Santa Clause. It m,ay be difficult to realize it was your parents eating the cookies, buying  the presents, and reading the letters,  but it doesn't take away all the special moments of Christmas and our parents do it to make us happy. I think the lie of Santa is a harmless one. 

Do you think its ok for parents to lie about Santa?

What will you tell your kids?

How did you find out Santa wasn't real?   10886390481?profile=RESIZE_400x

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/tell-kids-santa-not-real 

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/tell-kids-santa-not-real

https://www.history.com/topics/christmas/santa-claus 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you its a fun experience for kids. 

• My parents told me about santa. I belived in him for a long time. I think its okay to tell your kid about santa so they can be good and have somthing to look forward too. They will still be excited for presents but they will look forward for their santa present. 

• I agree. Most people have similiar opinions to everyon els. 

• I think it is ok for parents to tell kids that Santa is real. It is not physically hurting them. It is one little lie that brings joy to kids. At my house, I have an elf on the shelf and she goes back to the north pole on Christmas morning with Santa when he stops at our house. 

• I agree it doesn't physically hurt the kids and its just a tiny lie. 

• Yes, I believe that it is okay for parents to tell their kids that Santa is real even though they're lying. At a young age, most kids get excited thinking that Santa will come to their house. I will probably tell my kids he is real because it's thrilling for them.

• I agree with you. It isn't like a bad lie and there young and excited. 

• Yeah, I think it is okay, that's the thrill for most little kids is thinking that Santa Clause will come to their house to give them presents. It's certainly not a bad thing, it actually makes it more enjoyable for the parents when they see their kids excited that Santa came to their house. 

• I agree with you. KIds enjoy the thrill of santa . Its not supposed to be bad.

• I think it is okay for parents to tell kids that Santa is real. They get happy when it is Christmas because they get presents from Santa and they set up cookies for Santa. It's just something that kids find fun and entertaining. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker