The history of Santa Claus goes back 100s of years. It is rooted from the legend of St. Nicholas, a man who spread his wealth by giving to the poor and sick. Today Santa is portrayed as a large man in red, who flies a magical sleigh around the world, (with the help of his reindeer),  and delivers presents on Christmas night. Children are told all throughout the year to be well-behaved so they don't end up on  Santa's “naughty list”. Many children grow up believing this legend, leaving out cookies for Santa, writing him letters, etc. The real question is when a child asks their parent “Is Santa real” should they lie? 

Some believe that lying to children about Santa's existence is a “cruel idea” or “morally wrong”. At a certain point, kids begin to recognize reality vs fantasy, and Some worry when they do they will feel hurt or betrayed for being lied to. Research shows that “kids who are lied to by their parents are more likely to lie themselves.” However, Others believe that the idea of Santa is fun, magical, and a completely harmless lie. It is meant to bring Christmas joy while encouraging kids to behave.

I think that it is ok for parents to lie about Santa Clause. It m,ay be difficult to realize it was your parents eating the cookies, buying  the presents, and reading the letters,  but it doesn't take away all the special moments of Christmas and our parents do it to make us happy. I think the lie of Santa is a harmless one. 

Do you think its ok for parents to lie about Santa?

What will you tell your kids?

How did you find out Santa wasn't real?   10886390481?profile=RESIZE_400x

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/tell-kids-santa-not-real 

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/tell-kids-santa-not-real

https://www.history.com/topics/christmas/santa-claus 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree its ok when there young but when they start asking questions that's when stuff changes.

• I think that it is perfectly fine to lie about santa to younger kids. If you tell them the truth right away then what is the point of even having the story about santa. It is a way for young kids to imagen people that just deliver presents to everyone in the world in one night. 

• I agree. There is no harm in the lie in my opinion. 

• I think that it is okay for parents to lie about santa being real. This will give kids a chance to be very excited for chirstmas and can do more fun things to prepare for santa to come. I will probably just explain or let them find out as they get older. 

• I agree with you its really a good experience for kids. 

• I think it is okay to lie about Santa being real its part of the Christmas magic as a kid. it's part of the fun of Christmas thinking that some magic man comes in and puts presents under your tree. it also helps kids be nicer around Christmas. so I think that it's not a bad thing to do. 

• I like the way you worded this. It is like Christmas Magic.

• I think that it is okay for parents to lie about Santa being real. This gives children a reason to be excited on christmas eve and brings more joy to the holiday. I am most likely going to continue the tradition because it is fun for kids. Using common sense I figured it out but I also asked my parents and they told me the truth. 

• I agree. My parents did the same as yours. 

• I think its okay to lie about santa for so long. Like as long as they arent 13 and still think santas real i would say thats fine. But at some point they will figure it out one way or another. I will tell my kids that santa is real until they turn 13, or they figure it out themselves. I found out santa wasn't real by watching my dad put the presents under the tree and watching him eat the cookies.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker