The history of Santa Claus goes back 100s of years. It is rooted from the legend of St. Nicholas, a man who spread his wealth by giving to the poor and sick. Today Santa is portrayed as a large man in red, who flies a magical sleigh around the world, (with the help of his reindeer),  and delivers presents on Christmas night. Children are told all throughout the year to be well-behaved so they don't end up on  Santa's “naughty list”. Many children grow up believing this legend, leaving out cookies for Santa, writing him letters, etc. The real question is when a child asks their parent “Is Santa real” should they lie? 

Some believe that lying to children about Santa's existence is a “cruel idea” or “morally wrong”. At a certain point, kids begin to recognize reality vs fantasy, and Some worry when they do they will feel hurt or betrayed for being lied to. Research shows that “kids who are lied to by their parents are more likely to lie themselves.” However, Others believe that the idea of Santa is fun, magical, and a completely harmless lie. It is meant to bring Christmas joy while encouraging kids to behave.

I think that it is ok for parents to lie about Santa Clause. It m,ay be difficult to realize it was your parents eating the cookies, buying  the presents, and reading the letters,  but it doesn't take away all the special moments of Christmas and our parents do it to make us happy. I think the lie of Santa is a harmless one. 

Do you think its ok for parents to lie about Santa?

What will you tell your kids?

How did you find out Santa wasn't real?   10886390481?profile=RESIZE_400x

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/tell-kids-santa-not-real 

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/tell-kids-santa-not-real

https://www.history.com/topics/christmas/santa-claus 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes, it lets kids' imaginations run wild and keeps them excited during the holidays. As a kid, I would always write a letter to Santa, or my elf on the shelf moved every night, it made my day. It made me so happy to know I could believe in something. I probably won't tell my kids he isn't real until they're quite a bit older. I want them to have the best possible childhood. My aunt told me he wasn't real. It crushed me, and Christmas hasn't been the same since. 

• Great comment Clara! I agree. I also used to write Santa letters.

• I think it is okay for parents to lie to their kids about Santa. When they do this it gives the kids something to look forward to and it allows them to expand their imagination. I don't remember how I found out about Santa but I do know that my parents didn't tell me. I think I just realized on my own that he isn't real.

• Good comment. I agree it gives kids something to look forward to. 

•  I think that parents can lie to their kids about santa for however long the want to. I would personally tell my kids when they are old enough and actually want to know. I think that if parents would like to make the "christmas spirit" stay around longer, then they can tell them when they are older. I found out because I asked my mom if he was real or not.

• I agree with the christmas spirit part of it as well. Im glad you asked your mom. 

• oh and i like that u added images

• thank you

•  for me I can't say how long it's been since I really believe in Santa but I know that feeling was real but it never really died either its kinda like period Between winter and summer it's slowly merges remove warm tender life-giving season segueing into a horse called Baron landscape there's no point where this white lie is point broken it kind of just Fades away there's no end but there is a definite beginning but we can't remember that beginning because we were like 2 As for todays Children I don't know I don't have any I can't say that it's unethical to bring up a joy giving positive happiness inducing season that just I don't know makes everybody happy. even if the older Kids no that Santa is not real they still no  there is still at least one person  who cares for them Whether that is a fictional being riding a sleigh strewn about by 8 fluffy reindeer or whether it's a hard-working mom that may or may not be indulging herself  in the holiday cookies she baked and help you decorate Again this is my opinion I don't no your guys's backstory to be home for break the before Joy until you have kids you can't judge your parents or other parents Guardians whatever you want to call them trying to bring joy to a child's life. 

• Thanks for writing such a long comment. I'm glad you have a lot of thoughts about this topic. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker