The history of Santa Claus goes back 100s of years. It is rooted from the legend of St. Nicholas, a man who spread his wealth by giving to the poor and sick. Today Santa is portrayed as a large man in red, who flies a magical sleigh around the world, (with the help of his reindeer),  and delivers presents on Christmas night. Children are told all throughout the year to be well-behaved so they don't end up on  Santa's “naughty list”. Many children grow up believing this legend, leaving out cookies for Santa, writing him letters, etc. The real question is when a child asks their parent “Is Santa real” should they lie? 

Some believe that lying to children about Santa's existence is a “cruel idea” or “morally wrong”. At a certain point, kids begin to recognize reality vs fantasy, and Some worry when they do they will feel hurt or betrayed for being lied to. Research shows that “kids who are lied to by their parents are more likely to lie themselves.” However, Others believe that the idea of Santa is fun, magical, and a completely harmless lie. It is meant to bring Christmas joy while encouraging kids to behave.

I think that it is ok for parents to lie about Santa Clause. It m,ay be difficult to realize it was your parents eating the cookies, buying  the presents, and reading the letters,  but it doesn't take away all the special moments of Christmas and our parents do it to make us happy. I think the lie of Santa is a harmless one. 

Do you think its ok for parents to lie about Santa?

What will you tell your kids?

How did you find out Santa wasn't real?   10886390481?profile=RESIZE_400x

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/tell-kids-santa-not-real 

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/tell-kids-santa-not-real

https://www.history.com/topics/christmas/santa-claus 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that is harmless for the kids if the parents lie to them about santa. I liked having an elf and making cookies and milk for santa. I think that kids will enjoy and have a better time during christmas if they know that santa came to their house.

• I agree. I love all the christmas traditions that come out of the idea of santa. 

• I think that it is pretty harmless for parents to lie to their kids about santa clause. I remember when I started to question santa's existance at a pretty young age and eventually stopped beleiving in it entirely. Its a way to get kids in a festive mood and brings joy to them on the holidays.

• I agree it brings a lot of joy and is pretty harmless. 

• I think every parent should tell their kids about Santa. I loved having a elf on the shelf in my house. Sometimes its a good thing to tell your kids about santa becasue then they will be better. ANother reason parents should tell their kids about santa is that it makes them so excited to be waiting for santa on christmas and setting out carrots and milk and cookies. Even though santa doesnt come to my house abymore I still believe 

• I agree it helps kids stay well-behaved and gives kids something to be excited about. 

• I think it is not ok for parents to lie to their kids because that is how the kids start to lie. I Don't know what I will tell my kids, That is a long ways away. I think santa is real, I was never told he was fake, and that is what I will belive for the rest of my life.

• Thanks for commenting. Santa is definitely real. Good comment. 

• I think it is okay for parents to lie about Santa. I actually think that it is bettere to keep the fantasy at least when they are younger and thy still believe so they can enjoy Christmas. I would tell my kids that Santa is real until they grow up and if they don't end up knowing that it is not real I will tell them. I figure out because someone told me in school. 

• I agree it helps kids enjoy christmas and keeps the fantasy alive

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker