Over the last 50 years or longer, sports teams have decided to use Native American names as their mascot or team name. Native American names and gestures have all been used at the professional, collegiate, and high school level. Some examples of this include the Kansas City Cheifs, Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, Washington Redskins, Red Raiders, Indians, and many more. Some gestures such as the tomahawk chop and Indian cries have also been used.

There are many different reasons people choose these options as their names. Teams choose these names because they admire them and many think of them as roll models. Many also view them as strong and courageous. A lot of people love their way of life and how spiritual they are as well. An announcer for the Cleveland Indians who is part Cherokee believed that the name "Indians" could provide a chance to educate people on their culture and history. Randy Rollyson states “My great-grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian. I have no problem, whatsoever, with the use of Native American logos. None at all." On the other hand, Scotty Sochay states “Bottom line: Our historical relationships with outside groups are fraught with broken treaties, agreements, and promises. As a result, we are generally distrustful of outside groups. Thus, we have a problem when an outside group tells us we ‘should feel honored’ by their usage of Native imagery. Rather than telling us to feel honored, let us decide how to be honored. And if that means dropping the imagery, please respect our culture.” 

I personally think that all teams should be able to use Native American names as their mascots. I would feel pretty honored to have teams named after me or my people. However, I have not been in the place of Native Americans and can understand how they feel based on history.

Do you think sports teams should be able to use Native American names and gestures?

Do you know anyone that doesn't like teams changing names such as the Washington Redskins or Cleveland Indians?

Sources

https://www.thewrap.com/sports-teams-dumped-racist-names-mascots-indians-redskins/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/learning/is-it-offensive-for-sports-teams-and-their-fans-to-use-native-american-names-imagery-and-gestures.html

https://onlinesportmanagement.ku.edu/community/native-american-team-names-mascots#:~:text=Although%2079%20percent%20favored%20keeping,7%20percent%20said%20it%20should.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Personally I think that it is offensive to the people that have different cultures and they have nothing to do with the team. The name is offensive to them and their culture or in the context of being violent with them it may be threatening.

• I understand where you are coming from but I disagree. As long as the mojority of Native Americans understand it is to honor them then let it be especially if you aren't Native American. There is nothing violent about it and it is not offensive to them in my opinion.

• I think sports teams and players should be limited to their gestures, if it is obvious that they are moitioning that they are trying to mock a native, it should be a penalty. But the name thing is ridioculs. The redskins did not intend on making fun of native americans.

• I completely agree. If people are gonna abuse the name and gesture especially then something should be done to them. The logos are to honor them and get people to learn more or make them more interested in Native American culture.

• i think that it should be fine to use native names or gestures as long as it was its team name when it started or it changed a while ago. I get where people are comimg from because they think that it could affened otheres or it offeneds them but i feel like it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

• I think that sports teams should be able to use Native American names and gestures. I think this because it isn't truly offensive. As long as the gestures are not taunting to Native Americans it should be fine. Personally I don't know anyone that doesn't like them changing their names.

• I think that sports should be able to use native americans names and gestures. Most people are not offend by this, But if they are using it in a hateful way then they should not use it. But most people are fine with and are not offend by it.

• I think that they should be able to because I don't see how some of them find it offensive unless they are using it or doing it in that way. like the mascot of the team might be an Indian but if they're not doing anything to offend them it should be fine. no, I don't. 

• I dont see a problem with it. I dont think that the sport teams are trying to put those ethnicity down but trying to represent them in a good way. If also think that people are trying to twist the image and make it look bad when it is really not. 

• I think that they should be able to use Native American names and gestures just for the fact that they are pretty much representing their home town/state. I don't know anybody that doesn't like teams changing names.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker