Is Daylight Saving Time Good?

Changing sleep patterns, even by one hour, goes against a person’s natural circadian rhythms and has negative consequences for health. One study found that the risk of a heart attack increases 10% the Monday and Tuesday following the spring time change. Researchers found an increase in cluster headaches after the fall time change. 55% of Americans said they are not disrupted by the time change, 28% report a minor disruption, and 13% said the change is a major disruption. Longer daylight hours make driving safer, lowers car accident rates, and lowers the risk of pedestrians being hit by a car. Also, daylight in the evening makes it safer for joggers, people walking dogs after work, and children playing outside, among others, because drivers are able to see people more easily and criminal activity is lowered.

Should Daylight saving time be changed 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I like that it makes the summer nights longer. But I also hate the adjustment. My whole day feels completly off and it takes about a week to recover. But I thinks its important for the sunrise/sunset. I think that if we didn't have it, it would feel even weirder.

• Personally, I don't think daylight savings is needed. I think staying the same all year around would be beneficial for people. Some forget to change their clocks and are late for an event. I feel it is more destructive them helpful. 

• I dont think we need daylight savings time anymore, it just messes with our bodies and clocks . Though I do not think it will be removed any time soon because it just has been around for so long. But it would be nice if it was removed, no more stealing an hour of sleep.

• I fo not think daylight savings time should be changed because it has been around for the longest time and it would not really make sense because the time is still right it just gets darker earlier but there is no way to change how the sun goes up and down.

• In my personal opinion, I do not think that we need to practice day light savings time anymore. I understand how it was useful when it was first introduced, when farmers needed the extra day light because their equipment did not have lights. But, in the modern age of multi-million dollar pieces of machinery, with more than enough lights, it is useless.

• Sometimes I think daylight savings time is kind of useless. It does nothing for us we have 24 hours in the day and our farming vehicles have been updated a lot and most have their own auto-pilot.

• I don't think that we need to have daylights saving time. I think that it does more harm than good. When we change the clocks it just messes with our body and what not. We don't really need more daylight because we have access to lights and electricity.

• I don't think we need daylight saving time anymore. Origrinally, it was made for farmers because they didn't have lights or very good equipment. Now we do have lights and better equipment so I don't think we need it anymore. 

• I think daylight savings time is pointless, we still have 24hours in a day, we still have the same amount of daylight and night time hours. It doesnt change anything. If it increases the risk of heart attacks, they should just stop doing it.

• I agree that daylight savings time is pointless because there are some people that are at risk of heart attacks. When it comes to daylight savings there are people that complain about it. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker