Is Daylight Saving Time Good?

Changing sleep patterns, even by one hour, goes against a person’s natural circadian rhythms and has negative consequences for health. One study found that the risk of a heart attack increases 10% the Monday and Tuesday following the spring time change. Researchers found an increase in cluster headaches after the fall time change. 55% of Americans said they are not disrupted by the time change, 28% report a minor disruption, and 13% said the change is a major disruption. Longer daylight hours make driving safer, lowers car accident rates, and lowers the risk of pedestrians being hit by a car. Also, daylight in the evening makes it safer for joggers, people walking dogs after work, and children playing outside, among others, because drivers are able to see people more easily and criminal activity is lowered.

Should Daylight saving time be changed 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that daylight savings time should probably be changed. l think that daylight saving time was made a long time ago when farmers and people didn't have technology or equipment to be able to work during the night hours. I feel that now a days with the equipment and technology we have, we don't really need to have daylight saving time any more.

• I understand daylight savings time is for the kids to have more daylight to play, but it is not necessary. If we are going back an hour and then going up an hour a couple of months later there is no point. Daylight savings time should be discontinued.

• I think changing it would be good for people and what seeems to help a lot more of people out. Parents could or would probably feel a lot more better knowing that there kids who drive have less of a risk to get hurt in a accident as well.  Most people would get a lot more sleep and less chance of being late to work or scool. 

• I think that changing the time is not good for people because it mess with your daily morning. Changing the time is really not worth it anymore because i have heard that they were talking it away.

• I can understand the reasoning behind daylight savings time, but I don't think that it's good. It's been around for a while now and most people just complain about it. I think we should get rid of it because it does more harm than good.

• I agree that there is a lot of people complain about it because people don't wake up becasue people forget to set there clocks back. There are people that don't change back there clocks and then they are late for work.

• I think we should get rid of daylight savings time. I think it could help with some seasonal depression and would cause fewer accidents. For example, the roads are typically worse in the winter, and then on top of that it being dark out does not help with accidents. I do not really think there is a point for daylight savings time. 

• I agree that roads are worse in the winter and it gets dark out when we are in daylight saving time. I think that if we don't have daylight saving's time there won't be so many crashes in the winter time on the roads.

• I understand why they devolved daylight savings time, but I don't think it's needed anymore. It's been around for a long time and at this point, I think it's doing more harm than good, therefore I think they should just get rid of it.

• I think daylight savings time is not useful. I don't think we should do daylight savings if it increases the amount of heart attacks. We still have the same amount of hours in the day, and the lights will just be earlier or later. It doesnt make sense for use to keep changing our sleeping scheduals for nothing.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker