Is Black Friday good or bad for small businesses?

Every year on the Friday after Thanksgiving, many stores offer great deals for shoppers. This is known as Black Friday. With many people shopping on Black Friday, it is a great opportunity for stores to gain revenue, but is there too much competition for small businesses to make a good profit? 

Typically, the stores with the best deals get the most customers. Big chain stores can afford to make these sort of deals, and have enough items in stock to sell a large amount of items for little cost. Small businesses can't compete with many of the deals big stores have and often have to sell things at a higher price, or feel pressured into matching these deals that they can't afford. This causes many customers to shop at bigger stores instead of small ones.  Big stores also can advertise their deals a lot more than small businesses. They have more money for advertisements. For example, last year major retailers spent just over a quarter of a billion dollars advertising for their black friday deals alone. In comparison, the average small business spends only $400 dollars on advertisements monthly. Due to all of this advertising, a lot more people will know about the sales big stores are having, while not many will know about small business sales. 

I think that Black Friday can be profitable for small businesses if they set realistic deals that their business can afford. No small businesses will  benefit as much as big businesses do from black friday, but they can make some money if they remember what their business can afford. 

Do you think Black Friday is good or bad for small businesses? 

Do you usually shop at big stores or small stores on black friday?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, Black Friday is a great oppertunity for stores to get new customers.

• I think that black Friday is good for businesses it's a way for more people to buy your stuff and sure it might be cheaper but there will be more people buying it than normal so the cheaper price will cancel out with more customers.

• I think it can benefit small businesses. A big part of black friday is advertisements. When small businesses advertise for black friday, it could be very beneficial for them. Bigger businesses do really well on black friday but if small businesses do it right, they can too.

• I agree, I think if small stores use their money wisely they can benifit from black friday.

• I think that black friday is good for small businesses. This often will give them a chance to come up with a sale and the sale will lead to more people wanting to purchase their products. I often shop at big stores on black friday, but when shopping online it varies.

• I agree, a lot of people shop at big stores on Black Friday but shopping online could help small stores

• I think black friday could be good for small bussiness, but also bad. It could be good for people to check it out for the deals. It sould be bad becuase people will be at larger stores. Personally I do not go shopping on black friday.

• I think that Black Friday is still good for small businesses because it can be great for advertising. People can get to know a business and see how that business could benefit people. Overall it may benefit larget companies; however, small businesses are not out of the question, with many sales that can help grow even the smallest of businesses.

• I think that Black Friday is good and bad for small businesses. I feel small business can't really compete with big businesses with low sales, but I do think that small businesses might get people on black friday who don't like massive amount of crouds that occur at big bissinesses. I don't really shop at stores on black friday, but I would probably go to a big businesses if I had a choice.

• I think that Black Friday is good for small businesses. It allows customers to get great deals on products you can't get at most big businesses and can help small businesses make good profit. It can also bring in new customers that could end up telling more and more people about their small business.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker