Is Being An Only Child Better Than Having Siblings?

Is being an only child better than having siblings? 

Parents usually spend more time with an only child. Having other siblings causes less one on one time with parents. Don't get me wrong I love my little siblings but I wish I were an only child so I could spend more time with my parents. 

There are disadvantages to being an only child. One of the disadvantages is that the child could become lonely with no other kids their age to play and fight with. Another thing is sharing with other kids since this child has been an only child they won't know how to share with other kids when they go to school/play dates. An only child feels it's difficult to interact with other kids too because all they are used to is their parents. 

Kids growing up with siblings generally spend more time with each other rather than with their parents. Their relationship is likely to last longer and they can shape up against each other's personalities. They get to understand the value of relationships, love, and family at an early age. Children will be able to strengthen their communication skills by watching and listening to their siblings. The older sibling is most likely the role model and the younger sibling will learn faster. 

What are your thoughts on having siblings or being an only child? 

When you can have kids, will you have one or multiple? Why? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that having siblings would be better then being an only child. You wouldn't be lonely and always have someone around to do things with if you have a lot of siblings. If I have kids, I don't think I would want very many because thats a lot of responsibility. 

• I personally think that being an only child is better. I was an only child for a while and I wish I could go back to being one. I think that being an only child allows you to have all of your parent's attention and allows your family to do more. It is also more expensive having more children, you can't do as much. Personally, if I decide to have children, I will have 1. 

• In Germany, I'm an only child. Here in the U.S. I have a host brother. I kinda like both. One big pro of having siblings is that there is someone else you can spend time with and it just makes your family bigger. On the other hand, if you are the only child at home, then there is more time and it is not so stressful. 

• I think that it's good to have atleast one sibling. Kids learn to share and how to just talk with others. If I have kids I will probably have 2 just because I also want to have time to go to their events and spend time with them.

• As an only child It does get lonely sometimes and I do wish I had a sister to hang out with and talk to. As a kid, my parents took me to daycare for I could learn how to share and interact with kids my age, I really disliked going to daycare as a kid but I think it has really helped me learn how to interact with kids my age and how to share. 

• I think have siblings is way better then being an only child. I have 4 siblings and I definetly would not want to be an only child. Growing up you might not think so, but later in life siblings are a blessing. I think you can point out the kids that are only childs and have siblings. When I grow up I will have more than 1 kid.

• I think that having siblings is awesome. It started out with us not liking each other when we were young, but now we all get along and enjoy each other. I don't think that being an only child would be enjoyable at all. I am going to have multiple children.

• I have seven siblings so it is hard to have one on one time with my parents or even just some alone time. I think that there are pros and cons to both sides. Having siblings is fun and all but it's really hard to focus when you have a bunch of gremlins pulling at your leg.

• I get that it is very hard to have one on one time with parents when you have siblings. If you can trade your siblings in just for a day to have alone time with your parents? i think I would but only for a day. 

• I feel like being an only kid is nice, I'm my dad's only kid, but through my mom, I have other siblings. Being one of the oldest is hard at times because I'm usually the person watching all the younger kids. If I have kids when I'm older I will probably have multiple all around the same time, so one doesn't have to be more responsible and take care of the others.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker