Is America the best at sports?

Is America the most athletic country in the world? Of course, it is, we dominate in the Olympics, baseball, football, and basketball and even our college sports trump other countries' athletics events. We are the best of the best and have the greatest competition on Earth.
First, we crush other countries in the Olympics. America holds 2, 548 medals but that is doubled compared to the country that comes in second, the USSR, which has 1,204 medals. Also, America has hosted 8 Olympic games which are the most any country has hosted.
Second, when it comes to pro sports we are also a much better country. The NBA is the best basketball league in the world. Players from other countries want to come here to play, for example, Bol Bol who is from Sudan, Dirk Nowitzki who is from Germany, and Yao Ming who is from China all came here to play basketball. Now, this is the same with baseball. There are many other countries with good baseball leagues and even good national teams but a lot of the players work to make it to America so they can show they can play with the best competition on the globe.
Last, college sports in America are just elite. Even small JUCO schools and NAIA schools are bigger than the ones in other countries. An example of how big college sports are in America compared to other countries is that 22 million people watched the college football national championship but only 6 million watched the British Open.
In summary, America is the best sports country in the world, dominating in so many sports. In my unbiased opinion, I think America is not just the greatest country in the world, we are the most athletic country in the world.

Do you think America is the best at sports?

Are you a sports fan?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I personally think that America isnt the best at every sport and doesn't win every award for sports. Football In America is better and soccer is probably in some other country. we aren't the best at every sport but we are good at a lot. I am a sports fan I like the Steelers.

• I don't think america is good at every sport but they are good at some sports because some other countries are a little better than america and I think that america is good at some sports just not all sports.

• Yes, I would agree that America is good at sports, but I disagree with the fact that they are the best at sports. Sure, we have gotten lots of medals, but alot of your facts are on the sports that are more popular in America than in other countries. You said that more people watched the college national football chamionship, than the British OPen, but you were comparing football against golf, so obviously more people are going to watch football. You only really talked about football, basketball, and baseball, which Americans focus more on, while other countries might focus more on hockey, soccer, or various other sports. 

• Personally I think that football is the most popular sport in the States. I understand it but, I don’t like or watch it but I cheer for Harlan, because it is my school and I support the team. I think that football is overrated. No offense. But I don't see the big deal of wanting to put your life in harm's way to play a game where one team is going to lose.

• In my opinion America is the best in most sports. Comparing with different countries schools and colleges here take sports much more serious. they practice much more hours and there is a lot more sports spirit. I am not a big sports fan although I enjoy watching and playing certain sports.  

• I think that America is the best at certain sports, but not all. Not all sports are broadcasted or announced to the public so they can view. There may be certain teams in different parts of the world that nobody knows that would kick America. That is just my opinion, but I don't really know.

• I do think that America is the best at some sports. There are sports where we aren't the best at such as soccer, hockey, and baseball. The facts and results of athletic events support that too. So, I think it depends on the sport.

• I think America has their good sports but also their bad sports. I wouldn't say we were the worst, but we might not be the best. Soccer for example, we are not the best at soccer, other countries are better than us because that is where it originates from.

•            I do think that USA is the best at everthing in the world and escsipally at sports. I am a big sports fan but yet there are some sports that we specilaize in and done specisalize in. Includding football we are the best at that because that is a main sport like baseball. 

• I think that American is good at sports but not all. American is good at some sports such as basketball. But other sports we are no so good. Becasue Canda is really good at hockey and not us. So basically it depends on the sport.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker