For those of you that didn't know, on the movie set of Rust, in October of 2021. Alec Baldwin fatally shot and killed his cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins. The incident happened during the shooting of one of the scenes in an old church. In this scene, Alec was cornered by a couple of enemies and was to draw his gun to kill them. Alec and Halyna were rehearsing the drawing of Alec's pistol to make sure it would be in the shot. Halyna was telling him where to move the gun so that it was in the shot. Next, Alec was pulling the hammer of his movie prop revolver that was given to him by the movie's armorer to make sure that the pulling back of the hammer was in the camera shot. Once Halyna had him lined up and gave him approval for that gun angle, Alec released the hammer on his revolver. He witnessed Halyna drop and claims he had no idea what had happened at the time. He said he thought she had fainted or had a heart attack. That story does not add up when we take into account that another man on the set behind her had been clipped by the same bullet and was bleeding out of his shoulder. He also stated that the dummy rounds in the movie's guns had no recoil, and from my personal experience, a loaded round in a real revolver has a significant amount of recoil. This also does not add up considering Alec had been shooting dummy rounds prior to this scene. 

Now the question is, who gets charged and why? As of now, charges of involuntary manslaughter are being tried on Alec Baldwin and his armorer. The question of why there was a live round in a movie set gun being pointed at someone is also being brought up. It is also the responsibility of the armorer to KNOW that there are dummy rounds or NO rounds in the gun. The fact that there was a live round mixed in with dummy rounds on a movie set that involves pointing guns at people is outrageous and irresponsible on both Alec Baldwin AND his armorer. Personally, if I was handed a gun that was loaded by someone else and I was going to point it at a person, I would NOT assume that there were dummy rounds or no rounds at all in the gun. It only takes one shot to kill someone and mess up your whole life. Even though there is an opinion out there that says, "Well Alec obviously didn't try to kill Halyna", it is still involuntary manslaughter. Involuntary manslaughter as a charge is made because it is still ILLEGAL. If it was legal, then it wouldn't be a charge. There was a cameraman on the set that backed out days before the killing because of a "Lack of gun safety on the set". There was also a crewmember that stated that there had been a couple of accidental gun misfires on the set before this shooting in the first place. This brings up a few more concerns on this topic.

Personally, I think that Alec Baldwin and his two armorers should be prosecuted fairly for involuntary manslaughter. Just because it was an accident, doesn't mean it was legal.

Do you think that Alec and his armorers are guilty, or innocent of these charges?

How do you feel about there being live ammunition on the set?

What do you think about multiple crewmembers being concerned about gun safety on this set?

https://apnews.com/article/alec-baldwin-rust-movie-shooting-charges-decision-8c76eddb8a6418419078903d24ec3813

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/19/entertainment/rust-movie-shooting-alec-baldwin-charges-decision/index.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think he is very guilty. You should never be able to murder someone accident or not and not be locked up or punished. Image one of your family members being shot and killed and the person that killed him is out living his life like nothing happened. I think someone definetly put the live ammunition in the gun and Alec new it and it was all planned. 

• I agree with what you said, however, I'm not sure if it was planned, but it is very possible.

• I think that Alec Baldwin is guilty of murder becuase he pointed a gun at someone and pulled the trigger. even if there is blanks in the gun, blanks could still be deadly. He claims that he didn't pull the trigger but you can't fire the gun without pulling the trigger. He is very anti gun and believes that people are not resbonsible to own firearms. yet he has killed more people than most lawful gun owners.

• I agree that both Alec Baldwin and his two armorers should be prosecuted because even though it was an accident it doesn't mean what happened wasn't wrong. I am very confused why there was a live round on set and especially in a gun that they told him was a "cold gun".

• I am very bewildered that there would be live rounds on set in the first place. Obviously, Alec did not mean to shoot anyone--and you can plead his innocence for a variety of reasons--but he was also a producer of the film and is somewhat responsible for any mishaps on set. Even if the armorer is mainly to blame, he takes some responsibility for being the #1 person in charge. I don't think Alec has a lot of blame on him, but he's definitely trying to sell a narrative that he was completely unaware. Parts of his story don't fully add up, and I don't think he's trying to hide anything bigger, but I think he's getting a bit over his head trying to make himself sound as innocent as possible and fudging the truth a little bit to sound more sympathetic. I think if there had been accidental misfires on set before, the gun shouldn't have been pointed at anyone. 

• You make a good point when you said that since there had been misfires on the set, they shouldn't be pointing a gun at someone in the first place. You always need to assume the gun is loaded. I also think that he is scared of what happened so his stories may not add up 100%.

• I think the armorers are very guilty, they should have been more careful, the person who handed Alec the gun, told Alec it was a cold gun, meaning no live ammunition. So Alec should have been able to trust that nothing bad would have happened. But Alec is still at fault because in the end he did kill someone and injure another so he should still have consequences.

• I think that they are guilty because they handled the gun and they are responsible for checking if the gun is empty or safe to use. In no way should there ever be live ammunition on a movie set while they are filming a scene. If there were people who thought and knew that the set was unsafe and said something to the director and they could change how the set runs.

• I don't think that Alec Baldwin is guilty from mthe story that I have heard. It is not his job to check and see if the gun is loaded. However, I think that there are some parts of the story missing. For example, how does he not know that he shot 2 people? How does he not know that a bullet came out?!

• I agree that Alec Baldwin and his two armorers are guilty of these charges and should be punnished for them. As you said it was an accident but it still caused huge damages. I agree that the armores should be charged as much as Alec is. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker