Is a vegan diet really healthy?

So what does being a vegan really mean? Veganism is defined as “the practice of abstaining from the use and consumption of animals or animal products.” But the controversial question is, is being vegan really healthy, or is it just a recent movement and “trend”?

A vegan diet can cause those to lose nutrients such as vitamin B12, creatine, carnosine, vitamin D3 and many more. Although there are supplements and vitamins for those eating a vegan diet, there are some nutrients you simply can’t get from plants. Some also say that veganism can lead to poor dietary choices. The thought of this diet can also cause unrealistic expectations for some. 

Many people convert to a vegan diet for ethical or environmental concerns. For some, it also offers a “healthier lifestyle”. There have not been many studies of those on a vegan diet, but those who are vegan believe it is a healthier way to live. There are also many different types of vegan diets. Some vegans use supplements and vitamins to get those missing nutrients in their diet. As veganism is growing, there are becoming more plant alternatives, which can include those nutrients.

I believe that a vegan diet can be healthy if done correctly. If not done correctly, I think it can be damaging and leave a bad reputation for veganism. I  would never do a vegan diet, as my family eats a lot of beef, chicken, and pork along with using a large amount of animal products. 

Do you think veganism is healthy?

Would you ever try a vegan diet?

What are your thoughts on veganism?

Sources: 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I dont think that the vegan diets are that healthy. Meat has a lot of nutrients and vitamins that people need and when they cut that out they will have side effects. I would never personally go vegan or try the diet because of what nutrients i would be missing.

• I personally do not think that vegan diets are the most healthy. I think that there is a lot of nutrients and vitamins in meat that they are missing when they completely cut out all meat. I don't think I would ever go on a vegan diet or become a vegan.

• I agree. With a vegan diet, a lot of nutrients are missing and supplements just aren't the same as the real thing.

• No, I don't think it is healthy at all. God gave us meat and animals for a reason and it is proven that a vegan diet is not healthy. You cannot get enough protien from a vegan diet and you need nutrition from other sources such as animals to help take in other nutrients. It all works together.

• I agree that sometimes you can't get enough protein from a vegan diet. Meat is a huge part of a well-balanced diet. Even with supplements, it's not the same.

• Personally I don't think that vegan diets are healthy. It is very clear that humans throughtout history were always ment to be omnivorous meaning we eat meat and plants.

• Personally, I think it is healthy, it really just matters if the diet works for you. I don't think I would ever be able to try being vegan, I've always enjoyed meat with my meals. I don't exactly know if a vegan meal is very balanced. I personally don't mind it, but me personally, couldn't be one, id get tired of it fast. 

• Vegan diets mke you lack the nutrients the human body needs.  But eating things like steak, chicken, eggs, foods like that, that are healthy and do come from animals is also healthy if you eat them in a well-balanced diet. there are substitutes for the proteins and nutrients that you could be lack from curing out most things but it would never fully be the same as meat.

• I agree that even with supplements, it's not the same. I also agree that meat is a big part of a well-balanced diet.

• It is healthy, I mean there is no denying it. So it's healthy, but, eating steak, chicken, eggs, foods like that, that are healthy and do come from animals is also healthy if you eat them in a well-balanced diet. In short, there are a lot of foods that come from animals that are healthy. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker