Is a vegan diet really healthy?

So what does being a vegan really mean? Veganism is defined as “the practice of abstaining from the use and consumption of animals or animal products.” But the controversial question is, is being vegan really healthy, or is it just a recent movement and “trend”?

A vegan diet can cause those to lose nutrients such as vitamin B12, creatine, carnosine, vitamin D3 and many more. Although there are supplements and vitamins for those eating a vegan diet, there are some nutrients you simply can’t get from plants. Some also say that veganism can lead to poor dietary choices. The thought of this diet can also cause unrealistic expectations for some. 

Many people convert to a vegan diet for ethical or environmental concerns. For some, it also offers a “healthier lifestyle”. There have not been many studies of those on a vegan diet, but those who are vegan believe it is a healthier way to live. There are also many different types of vegan diets. Some vegans use supplements and vitamins to get those missing nutrients in their diet. As veganism is growing, there are becoming more plant alternatives, which can include those nutrients.

I believe that a vegan diet can be healthy if done correctly. If not done correctly, I think it can be damaging and leave a bad reputation for veganism. I  would never do a vegan diet, as my family eats a lot of beef, chicken, and pork along with using a large amount of animal products. 

Do you think veganism is healthy?

Would you ever try a vegan diet?

What are your thoughts on veganism?

Sources: 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that vegan diets can be very healthy. Even though you do not get much protein from foods outside of meat, some vegetables give off proteins that are the most important for the human body. I do think that you can live a healthy life as a vegan; however, I think that vegan diets are not the best for the most healthy approach to your diet. 

• Many people have to be vegan due to allergies or other health issues. There isn't anything unhealthy about being vegan, you just have another way to get protein and other nutrients into your diet. In addition, some people have problems with the texture of meat so they just don't like it. I wouldn't mind trying it for a short period of time, but it would definitely be difficult. 

• I agree that some become vegan due to other reasons. But, sometimes it's hard to get other nutrients into your diet. Meat is just the best way to get those nutrients naturally.

• I think it is healthy just because you don't eat meat does not mean you can't get the protein you can get protein from many other things.  I am a pescatarian so I don't eat meat just fish. so yeah I could see myself going vegan one day that does not mean I will though.

• In my opinion veganism is not healthy. It is true that reducing your diet just to non animal products will force you to eat more fruits and vegetables but is it proved that in order to have a healthy diet you have to have a balance and eat all types of foods. I would try a vegan diet just for one or two days but I think I could not do it longer. I personally think that veganism is a new thing and more and more people are starting to become it. It is true that there is people that do it to protect animals and because they have their own thoughts of it but there is a big amount of people that just do it because it is a "trend". 

• I agree because it's hard to create a healthy diet when you are vegan. I also agree that a large number of people do it because of trends.

• I would never go vegan because my family raises beef. I think that being a vegan is not healthy because dairy and meat has a lot of protein and different nutritional values that help our body. Some nutrition that is not found in just fruits and vegetables. 

• I agree. In my opinion, meat is the best way to naturally get a large amount of nutrients.

• I personally belive that a vegan diet can be healthy; however, if you don't do it right there can be a lot of concequences. It is really bad for the human body to not get enough protein, calcium, iron, and vitamin B12. Deficiencies can cause a number of health problems like stunting growth, causing hair loss, and even contribute to serious medical conditions, like dementia. I personally would never go on a vegan diet. 

• I think that a vegan diet is not the healthiest option but is not the worst. Yes there are substitutes for the proteins and nutrients you lack from curing out most things but it will never fully be the same as the real thing. I don’t think I will ever try the vegan diet since I would have to give up meat and other things like milk. I think if you want to be a vegan then it’s your choice but there are so many things that you would have to find an alternative for.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker