Iranian Women Is Hanged For Killing Her Alleged Rapist

In Iran a women by the name of Reyhaneh was hanged because she killed the man that raped her. The human rights group called it self-defense but she was still hanged. According to the UN she never had a fair trial. "There were serious concerns with the fairness of the trial and the circumstances surrounding this case, including reports of confessions made under severe duress," said State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki. The name of the rapist is Morteza Abdolali Sarbandi, once a worker for Iran's Ministry of Intelligence and Security. Reyhaneh said the incident happened when she hired Sarbandi to work on her office, she killed him when he tried to assualt her. Originally she was supposed to be hung September 30th but it was postponed because of the public going against her execution. 

Link

If you had the choice to decide if she was to be hanged or to be let free what would your decision be and why?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great job Miguel!

• I would let her go free I think it was self defense and I wouldn't even think once about her being hung.  

• Let free I would kill him too if I was raped. She shouldn't be put to death for that. She should be punished at minor extent
  • I think that she should've been let free because I supported vengance for this type of stuff and I also think that it was incredible awful that she got hanged for it. I would say maybe she get a little be a jail time for it but being hanged for it is too far. 

• I also had the same idea. Something not as severe but so she learns there are consequences.

• I think it's terrible she got raped, but im not sure on this one. Iran is dominant with men.

• not be be bias but i really think that it was kind of a dumb move, i mean she was raped! thats horrible. im assuming she didnt want to me raped i mean who would if they do its not exactly rape. she was only defending herself to get away from the man.

• Iran is a very male dominate country. Women get tossed around like rag dolls over there. So when one steps out of line, something bad is going to happen to her. I most definitely would have let the women go, but I am also not influenced by the ways and ethics of every day Iranian life. 

• Look more into it. Check video cameras for footage of the assault. Question her, or use a polygraph on her. Make sure she isn't lying. Some people over react a lot more than they should be just because the so called victim is a female. She could easily just be actually insane and wanted to kill him. So yeah, if you look enough into it and make sure shes not lying, and find that indeed she was lying then yes, hang her.

• Wow I never thought of this point of view! Maybe she actually did kill him for other reasons, but still good thinking!

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker