Iowa's new gun laws

On March 14 a new gun law was passed for Iowa. The bill includes a "stand your ground" provision that says a law-abiding person does not have a duty to retreat before using deadly force. It would also allow people under age 21 to possess a pistol or revolver while under direct supervision of a parent or guardian who is at least 21 years old. It would create a uniform permit to carry weapons and provides for five-year permits to acquire handguns rather than single-year permits.

link

Questions 

how do you feel about this law?

do you feel it is ok to protect your home family and property or let the robber do what ever they want 

my opinion i think this is a good law because can protect your family and your house. if some one tried to enter my house with intent on robbing me or threaten me i would try to stop them to protect me my family and my house. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think everyone has the right to protect themselves when they feel like they are in harm's way. So if your house is being robbed and the robber comes at you and you feel threatened you should have the right to defend yourself.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree I think  it is stupid to have to retreat to protect you self

• I think this is a good law because then people can keep their family safe and defend themselves. Protecting you and your family would be better than letting the robber come in and do whatever. 

• I agree with you I think it is always good to protect your family no matter what.

• I think that it is a good law in some ways, but not so good in others. You don't know what people are thinking, and what they are planning to use the gun for. I think that this should allow families to have a safe guard weapon somewhere in the house for use only when they are being invaded or assaulted. I don't think that they should be able to carry guns with them.

• I don't really have an opinion on gun laws. I guess it's kinda risky to let a child possess a gun. I think there should be an age requirement, 14 maybe? I think you should try to protect your family, but what if the gun was easily accessible to the robber? Then you'd be putting your family in danger.

• I think that this law is good, because it allows people to defend themselves from criminals. If someone is trying to rob your house, you have the right to defend yourself, your family, and your property, and you shouldn't have to feel like you wouldn't be allowed to do so. Plus, since it's for law-abiding citizens, they would probably do very thorough background checks before allowing people to carry arms.

• I agree I think that do have to do a background cheek before they give permits anyway

• I think this could be a good law as long as people are following it like they should. I think it is okay to protect your family and property, but maybe shooting the person isn't what should be done, but having the gun would be a good way to scare the robbers off. 

• It's a pretty good law but I feel like it could have it's downsides. I feel like it is right to protect your home and family from a robber. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker