Iowa's new gun laws

On March 14 a new gun law was passed for Iowa. The bill includes a "stand your ground" provision that says a law-abiding person does not have a duty to retreat before using deadly force. It would also allow people under age 21 to possess a pistol or revolver while under direct supervision of a parent or guardian who is at least 21 years old. It would create a uniform permit to carry weapons and provides for five-year permits to acquire handguns rather than single-year permits.

link

Questions 

how do you feel about this law?

do you feel it is ok to protect your home family and property or let the robber do what ever they want 

my opinion i think this is a good law because can protect your family and your house. if some one tried to enter my house with intent on robbing me or threaten me i would try to stop them to protect me my family and my house. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Im not opposed to it, even though i dont legally have a gun yet, but i wouldn't mind having it for only self defense, and not to actually kill someone. I think people have the right to defend their home from intruders, especially if their intention is to do harm to either you or your property.

• I am in favor of this law. Im not sure that anyone under 21 should have a gun though. they should have the lowest age limit to be 18 years old. Obviously you would want to protect your family from danger.

• I think that this law is just another way for the bad people in the world to get a gun easier. I believe that we should work on passing laws that make it harder for bad people to get guns. More background checks need to be done before we just hand out permits. I think that it is okay to protect family and property but I don't think it is okay for bad people to have guns. 

• I feel this is just another law to make it easier for bad people to get a hold of guns. We should be passing common sense gun laws for background checks, not just handing out more permits. I feel its good to protect yourself in your home but we need laws to keep guns out of bad peoples hands. 

• i disagree because its not giving out permits it just gives people the right to protect there home if they feel threaten with out retreating to the furthest  room away 

• I think everyone has the right to protect themselves when they feel like they are in harm's way. So if your house is being robbed and the robber comes at you and you feel threatened you should have the right to defend yourself.

• i agree because if someone came at me and threaten me in my own house  i wouldn't want to run to the back of my house and wait to protect my self i would want to protect my self at the moment that person threaten me 

• I think that it is a good idea because if you have to run before you defend yourself he could be injured or killed while retreating. I think it is also good that young people are allowed to learn about pistols and how to handle one safely. I think you should always be able to defend your home or family if you need to. 

• you make a good point if i'm retreating and get hurt on my way then what was the point of retreating in the first place 

• This law is pretty good considering its protecting law abiding citizens. Also with the age allowance its a good thing because you can't own/operate a pistol/revolver unless at an age lower than 21 without supervision. This could help a lot with damage done.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker