Back in 1869, all Catholic Churches banned abortion at any stage of pregnancy. Abortions was outlawed across most of the country, by the 1880s. The U.S. Supreme Court dropped a law banning the distribution of birth control to married couples in 1965. By the time Roe vs. Wade case in 1973, 4 states had legalized abortions . Jane Roe wanted to end her unwanted pregnancy in 1969. Before this pregnancy Roe had given birth 2 times and gave both children up for adoption. By the time of Jane Roe third pregnancy, abortion was legal in texas but only for the purpose to save a women’s life if needed. Henry Wade decladed in June of 1970, he would prosecute doctors who performed abortions. The Surprume Court canceled the Texas law banning abortions in January of 1973. The court proclaimed that a women’s rights to abortion was implied to the rights of privacy protected by the 14th Amendment. The 14th amendment includes, “equal protection of the laws''. Also includes granted citizenship to all persons born or naturalized in the United States.  

In 2022, the nation’s highest court debated on Dobbs vs. Jackson Women’s Health Organization. The United States Surprume Court decision was that the Constitution of the United States rejected the right to an abortion. In Iowa, Kim Reynolds, ask the court to revive our state to a 6-week abortion ban. This case started in March of 2018. The decision was a 6 to 3 person for abortion to be illigal. 

Abortion should be illegal and banned in the United States. Many people argue that they are not ready to have a baby. Personally the justification of not being ready to have a kid is not logical if you are ready to have sex. Not being ready to have a child is not an excuse to take a child's life. Children still deserve to have a life just as much as each and everyone else. People should think about all the practical outcomes of the circumstances before you go through with the situation. If you possibly find yourself in a situation and accidentally get pregnant, then that is the circumstances that you have to deal with from your actions. Each and every conceived child deserves to live a life whether or not it is with biological parents or adoptive parents. Having a child is a blessing and not everyone gets that opportunity in life. 

Why would a person take an innocent child's life away that they created?

Do you think abortion should be illegal or legal? Explain?

Sources: https://www.history.com/topics/womens-rights/roe-v-wade

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/25/politics/where-abortion-banned-states-court-legal-challenges/index.html

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/19-1392_6j37.pdf

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and well done overall Olivia! I would have liked you to explain the case this summer and what it actually did a bit more. You did a great job commenting but most all of the were done on one day instead of three. Be sure to do that next time.

• I think abortions should be legal. With roe v wade being overturned it will just cause unsafe abortions. I think abortions are a female right. If abortions are illegal the foster care system will be full and will require a lot more funding. 

• I disagree, killing an innocent child is really wrong. That child didn't do anything to deserve that.

• I believe abortion should legal in the states. But the reason abortion should be an option if it fell under incest, or rape things like that is why women should have the option too abort and not carry the baby full term.

• I disagree, I feel people would just use it because they are not ready to have a kid. That is not an excuse to kill an innocent child.

• In my opinion I think abortion should be illegal, but in life or death situations for the mother that is a different story. In this day and age lots of young women are using abortion as a form of birth control. There are lots of other ways to prevent having a child. Condoms are a thing for a reason. They aren't there for decoration they have a purpose. People need to take responsibility for their bad decisions. There is one or two times that an abortion is an option. For one if the mother is in serious danger and is going to die while giving birth. Another case in my opinion if the child has sever medical issues and will be in a vegetative state their entire life.

• I agree, same with life or death. If it comes to that they should choose the mother.

• In my opinion abortion should be legal. There are instances where rape and incest happens or the fetus is underdeveloped and wont get the nutrience needed for it to survive outside of the womb. There are other things that happen where it wouldn't be fair to the person who is carring the fetus to be forced to carry it to term like if the fetus was dead. 

• I disagree, I understand why you wouth think so. It is not right to kill an innocnet child because the parents didn't think about the outcome of a situation.

• Abortions need ot be illegal in all states. Whether you are a christen or not, you should know that killing an innocent life that has not even began their amazing journey in life is very wrong. In my eyes, if you commit to a abbortion, you are a murderer. This may sound like a stretch but think about it. You are killing a human. Even worse, a baby who has not even been able to see the sky. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker