Hurricane Disaster Relief

Hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes could happen at any moment and the trail they leave behind them is horrendous. Each disaster has disaster relief to follow the aftermath. One of the most recent disasters was hurricane Ian. For those who don’t know, hurricanes are violent wind storms that form in warm waters with winds of 74 miles per hour or faster. These happen on the coasts of the U.S. 

Hurricanes tend to cause flooding, power outages, rip currents, and so much more. Death is a big thing that comes with hurricanes. Hurricane Ian is considered the most deadly hurricane in Florida since 1935 with over 100 deaths. This may not be as many deaths as other hurricanes, it is still a big deal. Hurricanes cause houses to flood, trees to fall, family’s to be separated during evacuation, power outages across thousands of homes and so much more. After the storm is over and they are able to start disaster relief they are able to determine who is dead or missing. 

The amount of Disaster relief a state or region receives depends on the amount of damage. Fundraisers started by big companies such as the Red Cross to help cover the costs of supply’s. The Red Cross sends volunteers to the affected states/counties and provides food, water and shelter to those who have lost their homes or towns in the storm. The government provides financial help to those who have lost their businesses /houses in the storm with little to no issuance. The government responds to any of the states calls for help through the Federal Emergency Management Agency. In the states that could be affected by hurricanes there are public shelters where people can go to stay safe during the storm. The only issue with these shelters is that they don’t always accept pets resulting in people ethier abandoning their pets or going back into the storm with their pets. Thes shelters can only hold so many people so some do have to be turned away because of the space limitation. Lots of civilians help. There are many videos and pictures of brave people going out and rescuing abandoned pets chained to their houses and people stuck inside only to be accessed by boat due to flooding which can reach up to 20 feet above normal water levels. In some cases people have to be medivaced to better hospitals or hospitals that have not been damaged. Sometimes people get airlifted simply because they can not be reached any other way. In the end there are a lot of different ways hurricanes can be dealt with.

I have lived through a few hurricanes myself and we only evaluated once due to a power outage. While I think there could always be more ways to help those affected by hurricanes, the system in place right now works for the time being.

If you were in a hurricane what would you do to prepare?

Would you evacuate your home or stay put until told otherwise?

https://www.redcross.org/about-us/our-work/disaster-relief.html#:~:text=After%20a%20disaster%2C%20the%20Red,response%20vehicles%20in%20affected%20neighborhoods.&text=Emergency%20supplies%20help%20people%20in,days%20and%20weeks%20that%20follow

https://www.doi.gov/recovery#:~:text=When%20a%20disaster%20is%20declared,under%20the%20National%20Response%20Framework.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• If I were ever in a situation of a hurricane, I would pack. I would pack what is needed without electricity for about a week or two, and I would stay. Although I would stay I would also pack for a case of I have to leave and evacuate from the hurricane getting severely worse. 

• I agree it is a smart idea to pack an emergency bag if you have to evacuate to somewhere safer.

• If I was in a hurricane I would prepare by boarding up windows. As well as, covering up valuables with plastic wrap to lower water damage. I would also try to get out of the intended path of the hurricane if possible. Depending on the category would determine if I would stay at home or go also if it was a direct hit or not.

• If I was ever in a situation to be in a hurricane, I would prepare. I would get all the essentials needed to survive for about of week with no power. I would stay, I think leaving and packing up would cause a lot of prep. Staying would be easier because what if a bridge blew down as you were on your way out? It was the only way, now you have to drive back to your house that is unprepared for the hurricane. 

• While packing does take a lot of time you should always be prepared to leave in case the hurricane category changes and it becomes unsafe to stay where you are. 

• If I was in a hurricane I will perpare. First I will get food and water. And then I would cover my house with protection. Like cover my windows. And If it gets super bad and they tells us to evacuate I would go.

• If I was in a hurricane I would do alot to prepare first I would get sand bags, food, things to cover the windows, some stuff to prevent fludding there is a lot of stuff I would need to get past a hurricane. I feel it depends on how close I am to the eye of the hurricane If im further in The state or place then mabey not I would probaly stay but If I was on the edge I would definitly leave.

• I would get prepare by getting needed neccesities and not overboard it. I would stay put and take the risk of getting hit by the hurricane because when I lived in texas most of the houses were probably lifted 10 ft in the air by supports because of hurricanes.

• While raised houses help with flooding that does not protect your house from the wind and debris that come with a hurricane. 

• I if was in a hurricane situation I would try my best to make sure that I had enough food and water to last me at least a couple of weeks. Then, I would unsure that my house is fortified well enough to withstand the impending storm. If the city or government adviced people to evacuate, I probably would. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker