Human Trafficking

Human trafficking is the use of force and multiple other things to get some type of labor or sexual act out of a person. Men, women, and children are trafficked all throughout the world. It happens right here in the U.S. It doesn’t matter your age, race, man or women, or nationality, you could possibly be a target. There are multiple ways that trackers use to lure in their victims. Like violence, fake promises, romantic relationships, and manipulation. 

In Iowa there have been 221 calls to the Human Trafficking hotline and there have been 86 cases of Iowa-based human trafficking. Out of all the reports in Iowa over half of them are minors. vThis is a crime that can be committed behind closed doors or in plain sight. Since 2007 has identified 644 human trafficking cases and 1490 victims were identified. 62% of cases are sex trafficking, 10% is labor, and sex labor is 3%. A lot of  trafficking takes place in hotel/motel based places. It could be workers or traffickers keeping the victims in the rooms. 74% of victims are women and 16% are men. 

What steps do you think we could take to prevent this?

What can you do to not be targeted?

http://https://humantraffickinghotline.org/en/statistics/iowa

https://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign/what-human-trafficking 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Human trafficing is a problem that is tough for the law to eliminate because of how the trafficers work their way around the law. I'd say talk to someone you trust like family members or good friends and have that person help you get out of it the situation and hopefully put the trafficer behind bars or worse. 

• I agree they work around the law and sometimes they can have a run in with the law and the cops would never know. It is kind of hard to put the trafficker behind bars, because some of the victims don't even know them and sometimes would never know even if they were with them for years.

• i think that there should be many different ways to prevent human trafficking in in these days it has gotten way worse than what it was and it is getting out of control the people that are human traffickers should be punished 

• I think that people can always be more aware and careful of who they are around. I believe that if people would be more aware of their surroundings and careful about who they are around, there will be less human trafficking. You also need to be wary of who you associate yourself with. 

• I agree that being cautious about who your with at parties or just anywhere for that matter. Sometimes you don't know how some people are even if you think you know them. Also being aware of your surroundings is also a big part of staying safe.

• I think some steps people can take are just being more aware. I think people should always have friends with them in new places and stay alert. I also think that people should carry pepper spray. To not be targeted I would say stay in very crowded areas. Don't walk home alone or anything. 

• I think that there should be a big step up in the ways to prevent human trafficking. In this generation, it has definitely gotten much worse and out of control. I think that the people that are doing the trafficking need to be punished. The people who are being trafficked should not have to worry about what they wear, who there with, etc. 

• I agree they need ot be punished, and it should be a punishment that is serious. All the indescriable things they've done it shouldn't be taken lightly. It has gotten worse and more out of control than it ever should have.

• I think that maybe schools could have a class to teach self defense. I think that you could have a less likely chance of being taken if you are in a group. Also, it is important to be aware of your surroundings. Also, maybe someone could carry a weapon like a pocket knife with them.

• Well, first we can prevent human trafficking by maybe taking a few self-defense classes and being able to protect ourselves. If you have tattoos you are less likely to be trafficked because you can be identified easier. So I'm going to prevent myself from being trafficked by getting tattoos.  

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker