Human Trafficking

Human trafficking is the use of force and multiple other things to get some type of labor or sexual act out of a person. Men, women, and children are trafficked all throughout the world. It happens right here in the U.S. It doesn’t matter your age, race, man or women, or nationality, you could possibly be a target. There are multiple ways that trackers use to lure in their victims. Like violence, fake promises, romantic relationships, and manipulation. 

In Iowa there have been 221 calls to the Human Trafficking hotline and there have been 86 cases of Iowa-based human trafficking. Out of all the reports in Iowa over half of them are minors. vThis is a crime that can be committed behind closed doors or in plain sight. Since 2007 has identified 644 human trafficking cases and 1490 victims were identified. 62% of cases are sex trafficking, 10% is labor, and sex labor is 3%. A lot of  trafficking takes place in hotel/motel based places. It could be workers or traffickers keeping the victims in the rooms. 74% of victims are women and 16% are men. 

What steps do you think we could take to prevent this?

What can you do to not be targeted?

http://https://humantraffickinghotline.org/en/statistics/iowa

https://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign/what-human-trafficking 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes self-defence classes would be very beneficial to protect yourself from harm.  Yes tattoos are a big way to not be trafficked. They are very identifiable, especially if it is a very unique tattoo.

• I think to prevent human trafficking kids should be taught about it in school, like how defend themselves if they got in that kind of situation. I think the biggest thing you can do to not be targeted is to make sure that you are aware of your surroundings so you can notice if somethings off. 

• In my opinion, I think that human trafficking should be taught every year in schools so people know how to defend their selves and how not to be in that situation. I think the government should make schools teach self-defense classes and they should make schools teach kids about human trafficking.

• I agree that schools should teach self defence. It would be very benificial for everyone. I think that if its taught in school more people would know how to not be put into situation. 

• I think that schools should talk more about human trafficking since it's becoming more common. They should teach you about when someone is luring you into being a victim of human trafficking. They could teach self defense in schools as well to be able to protect yourself.

• I think that human trafficking should be tough every year in school and we should have a class we have to take how to defend ourselves and what to do in these type of situations. I also think parents need to be better at telling their kids about this also

• I agree teaching and learning about it could definatly help with knowing how not to be a target. Learning how to defend yourself is one of the most important and helpful thing anyone could know. Parents should inform their kids about it is very important.

• In my opion teenagers should be taught more about human trafficking in school and how to defend themselve and save there life. I was taught by my own dad on how to defend myself and that when were somewhere sketchy or where kidnappings have happened he always stays closer to me. Or when we go on vacation down my south america im never allowed to go anywhere alone without one of my brothers or dad. 

• In my opion teenagers should be taught more about human trafficking in school and how to defend themselve and save there life. I believe that the government has a say in this and teenagers need to know more about it. You are repossible for yourself when you get out in the world. 

• I agree with being taught about it in school. Teaching students how to defend themselves if they ever get attacked. I feel if you know what traffickers are looking for you can figure out how to not be a target.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker