Human Trafficking

Human trafficking is the use of force and multiple other things to get some type of labor or sexual act out of a person. Men, women, and children are trafficked all throughout the world. It happens right here in the U.S. It doesn’t matter your age, race, man or women, or nationality, you could possibly be a target. There are multiple ways that trackers use to lure in their victims. Like violence, fake promises, romantic relationships, and manipulation. 

In Iowa there have been 221 calls to the Human Trafficking hotline and there have been 86 cases of Iowa-based human trafficking. Out of all the reports in Iowa over half of them are minors. vThis is a crime that can be committed behind closed doors or in plain sight. Since 2007 has identified 644 human trafficking cases and 1490 victims were identified. 62% of cases are sex trafficking, 10% is labor, and sex labor is 3%. A lot of  trafficking takes place in hotel/motel based places. It could be workers or traffickers keeping the victims in the rooms. 74% of victims are women and 16% are men. 

What steps do you think we could take to prevent this?

What can you do to not be targeted?

http://https://humantraffickinghotline.org/en/statistics/iowa

https://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign/what-human-trafficking 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that human trafficking should be taught more in school in how to defend yourself from human trafficking. The governemnt will help you yes. However, the onl;y one who is resposible for your own safty is you.

• I think that your parents could try better to help it from happening. The goverment should be more aware of human trafficking from happening and if they were more aware they would be more aware of it happening.

• I think that we should try to prevent human trafficking, but we're not going to be able to eliminate it fully. Parents, teachers, schools, and the government should do their best to keep people aware of how to avoid human trafficking. I also think they should tell people how to not be targeted.

• I do not personally feel like there is any way to stop this but not being alone is probably one of the reasons that people get human trafficked. something that I do to not be targeted is to always take someone with you and never be alone. I always have someone come with me and my parents will still wait outside of the bathroom for me.

• The government, the world, and whoever else are already trying to completely end human trafficking. But of course, like many things, you can't completely stop it. It's scary being in this world thinking, is it going to be me next, will it be someone close to me? It's hard to be safe and trust anything in the world we live in now.  Now we can't even trust our same gender because they are sick and cruel enough to help with this disgusting, terrible act. My mom taught me growing up to trust no one, and always be aware of your surroundings, especially if you are in bigger cities. So to not be targeted, try to be aware and try to always go somewhere "unsafe" or "sketchy" with a person you know you can trust.

• They are trying, but it probably never going to fully stop. I strongly agree that it is sickining knowing that i could be taken or kidnapped next. It is very hard to be safe as a young woman. Especially when we aren't allowed to carry some types of wepons with us to keep us safe from people. Everyone should be aware of their surroundings.

• I think that either parents or maybe even the school should try to do the best job they can to make sure that kids know about this. With technology these days, it makes minors even more vulnerable to be the victim in human trafficing. 

• In my opinion we should try to rpevent this as much as we can because of the serious damage that can cause but it is hard to completely get rid of it. The government should do something about it. I think the best way not to be targeted is to get away from people that could be suspicious. 

• There might be stuff that can be done to lessen the amount but most likely there is not anything that can be done to remove it completely. One thing you could do to be less of a target could be going places with friends or family and have people kinow your location or be cautious about who you talk to or meet up with. In the end though there might not be anything you can do to not be a target because sometimes the people chosen could be random.

• I think that there should be more ways to prevent these kinds of things. Familys shouldn't have to go through these kinds of things either just the thought of one of my family memebers getting taken makes me sick. I think the government should have a better way to track down and deal with these kinds of things. Its bad how KIds and Teens are taken and never seen by their family members.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker