How long should the passing periods be?

Over the years during Harlan Community High School's time, the passing period lengths have changed multiple times. Being 3, 4 and 5 minutes at different times. During Mr. Brun’s first couple of years at Harlan the passing period was 3 minutes long. The school then had a testing period where they had either 3 minute long passing periods with 2, 15 minute breaks throughout the day. Or they could have 5 minute passing periods with no breaks. The teachers and students voted on the 5 minute passing periods. It then got changed to 4 minutes. And then finally it has been 3 minutes for the past two years.

Some pros of longer passing periods would be people could finally have enough time to go to the bathroom and fill up water bottles. If a student ever needed help on homework, instead of staying after class to talk with a teacher. Which would result in students being tardy to their next class. They could talk to a teacher before class because of the extra minutes. The halls would also be less crowded as students would leave classes at different times. But some pros of shorter passing periods is we get out earlier. During the time when the school had 5 minute passing periods the school day was from 8:15 to 3:30.

Now some cons of both; longer passing periods result in longer days. Students also have more time to mess around and get in trouble with teachers. Some cons for shorter passing periods are students have no time to go to the bathrooms and fill up their water bottles. Also having classes on opposite sides of the school is a struggle. It’s hard to get to the next class in just 3 minutes, and students are counted tardy if they're late.

If you could choose how long the passing periods were, how long would you say(1-10 minutes)?

Would you have longer passing periods but a longer day or a shorter day with shorter passing periods?

Do you agree or disagree with the time the passing periods are currently?

Mr. Bruns

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that 5 to 6 minutes would be perfect. It's enough time to allow for talking to a teacher or using the bathroom, but not too much time to the point where people are causing problems because they don't know what to do during that time.

• My opinion is four minutes, but I agree. They should be longer, this would allow us to not be rushed when going to the bathroom. And not be afraid to go when we ask teachers before class starts because people are scared they aren't going to get back to class on time.

• I think having a 5 minute passing period would  be perfect so you are not in such a rush while running behidn in a class and having to hurry and pack up just to make it to the next. I wish we had a little longer passing periods it would be nice.

• I am always on of the last people to leave the classroom, this makes me have to rush to and from classes. This creates stress for me personally, and I bet lots of other students. By giving us a couple of extra minutes the school can take away that little bit of stress that doesn't help with the homework, test, and social stresses of school.

• I would have to disagree that students should have more time inbetween class periods. The reason I believe that the passing periods should be longer is for students to be able to visit with there friends and use the bathroom. I feel like teachers would like this idea to.

• Teachers would like this idea, I think as well. By giving the students and teachers options, the school can see what everyone likes the best. This would give us the choice. Then if people still aren't satisfied with the passing periods, they know they could have changed it when giving the option.

• In my personal opinion, I think that passing periods should be around five minutes long. I think that five minutes is plenty of time to get to class and use the restroom if necessary, while still not making the school day any longer than it already is. I think that the current passing periods are too short.

• I agree with you, adding a couple minutes onto every passing period is not going to add much time to the end of our days. By making it 5 minutes rather than 3 minutes you would add 8 minutes to the end of the day. Round this up to 10 minutes and we get out at 3:10, which in my opinion isn't bad.

• I like the passing periods being 3 minutes. I would rather have a shorter day with shorter passing periods. I like the current passing periods because I feel like its just enough time to get to class, and if you have to do something between classes you can always ask your teacher. 

• I think giving us a couple more minutes with the passing periods would give us more time to talk to and ask teachers questions. But as long as your classes are close to one another I see no problem with the time of the passing periods currently.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker