How long should the passing periods be?

Over the years during Harlan Community High School's time, the passing period lengths have changed multiple times. Being 3, 4 and 5 minutes at different times. During Mr. Brun’s first couple of years at Harlan the passing period was 3 minutes long. The school then had a testing period where they had either 3 minute long passing periods with 2, 15 minute breaks throughout the day. Or they could have 5 minute passing periods with no breaks. The teachers and students voted on the 5 minute passing periods. It then got changed to 4 minutes. And then finally it has been 3 minutes for the past two years.

Some pros of longer passing periods would be people could finally have enough time to go to the bathroom and fill up water bottles. If a student ever needed help on homework, instead of staying after class to talk with a teacher. Which would result in students being tardy to their next class. They could talk to a teacher before class because of the extra minutes. The halls would also be less crowded as students would leave classes at different times. But some pros of shorter passing periods is we get out earlier. During the time when the school had 5 minute passing periods the school day was from 8:15 to 3:30.

Now some cons of both; longer passing periods result in longer days. Students also have more time to mess around and get in trouble with teachers. Some cons for shorter passing periods are students have no time to go to the bathrooms and fill up their water bottles. Also having classes on opposite sides of the school is a struggle. It’s hard to get to the next class in just 3 minutes, and students are counted tardy if they're late.

If you could choose how long the passing periods were, how long would you say(1-10 minutes)?

Would you have longer passing periods but a longer day or a shorter day with shorter passing periods?

Do you agree or disagree with the time the passing periods are currently?

Mr. Bruns

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, this will give kids the time they need to get from class to class with out having to rush getting to their next class.

• I think passing periods should be 5 minutes long. Id honesty have shorter passing periods and shorter days than longer passing periods and longer days. I think the current passing period time is completely fine and we have plenty of time to get to class. We can always ask to use the restroom during class or at the end.

• I would also choose to have shorter passing periods and shorter days. I would want to leave school earlier in the day, even if it meant that I had to rush to classes in between. I don't know if we have enough time to go to the bathroom in between classes, but we can always ask teachers to go during class. The only problem with that is you might be missing information that the teacher is giving when you are gone in the bathroom.

• To me I do not think that 3 minute passing periods are long enough. I think that passing periods should be around 5 minutes because some people just don't have time to fill up water or go to the bathroom. The people who have to walk up or down stairs really don't have time to do those things.

• I think that 3 minute passing periods are a bit too short, but I think that 5 minutes is way too long. I think that 4 minute passing periods are the perfect length because it gives students some time between classes to go to the bathroom and fill up their water bottle. If the passing periods were changed to 4 minutes, however, I believe that teachers should be a lot more strict with giving out tardies to students who come in late.

• I agree that 4 minutes is the perfect amount of time for the passing periods. 3 minutes is not enough time, getting from class to class and still needing time to fill up your water bottle. You will not get to class on time, and I agree that teachers should be more strict with tardies. If someone is late with no excuse they should not get away with that.

• I think that they should be a little bit longer. 3 minutes is just enough time to get to your next class especially if you are downstairs and have to go up. If you have to go to the bathroom or fill your water up you have to go to your teacher and tell them so you don't get a tardy. I think they should be a little bit longer.

• A lot of people have been talking about getting downstairs to upstairs. I had that happen to me last semster and I didn't realize how many people had to go from a far away class all the way up the stairs. And that so many people got tardies over it.

• I think we should keep them the same, granted with the three minute passing periods, you don't have enough time to go to the bathroom, or fill up your water bottle, but I would prefer this over longer days. Most teachers let you go when you get to class anyways, so the only issue I see in that is when they tell you no. 

• I think most teachers will just let you go when you get to class. As long as you tell them and they trust you to go straight to the bathroom and come back. 3 minutes is a decent amount of time, but I do think having the extra minute or two would help with students getting to class on time even if they didn't talk to the teacher before they left.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker