Homelessness in The United States

Did you know that nearly six hundred thousand people are homeless in the United States according to data from 2020. That may be a tiny percentage of the three hundred and thirty two million people that live in this country, but it is still an issue. It doesn’t matter the percentage, what matters is that there are people without shelter not knowing if they will get another meal. I think that homeless people just need more help and support from the government. I don’t mean that the government should stop worrying about everything else and focus on the homeless problem. However, some assistance is needed.

For most, living on the streets isn’t by choice. They find themselves on their own and then struggle to get back to normal living. Some try to get their lives back on track. However, most don’t have any way to clean themselves and some struggle to find food. No employer is going to want to hire someone that is dirty and not taken care of. society looks down upon the homeless, seeing them only as beggars who waste all of their money. In reality, most of them are just trying to survive. All these people need is a little help. I think that the government should get more involved in helping those who end up homeless. 

Whether it be from the citizens in the cities or the government, help is needed for the homeless. The problem with this is that there isn’t enough attention to it. To make a difference for homelessness there has to be more people realizing that it is a problem. More influencers or news outlets need to bring it up. There are people and programs already doing things for the homeless. Things like homeless shelters and food cabinets exist. More programs need to be established to keep up with the problem.

If you cannot tell, I am a big believer in helping the homeless. They are just like the rest of us, people trying to live day by day. I think that more help is needed to reestablish them into standard living. If everyone helped each other out then we wouldn’t face this problem, but that’s just not how this world works.

Do you think that Homelessness is a problem in the United States?

What do you think the government could do to help this issue?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/15/briefing/homelessness-america-housing-crisis.html 

https://endhomelessness.org/homelessness-in-america/homelessness-statistics/state-of-homelessness/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I get what you are saying, but I can't say that I agree with it. There are still Americans living on the streets trying to survive. Also, not all jobs will hire a homeless person.

• I think that homelessness is a problem in the U.S, however, I feel that it is not 100% the governents responsibility to help these people. They need to get a job and use their money wisely help themselves. Then the government would not have to invest so much time and money. If the homeless people are disabled mentally or phisically, that is a different story. Then, I feel that the government should help more because the people cannot do much for themselves.

• I do think that Homelessness is a big problem in the United States and even all over the world. People think that it's not an important thing in the world but it is by far. I think that the government should help the ones in need of homes because people are dying all over because of sickness or being out in the cold too much.

• I think that homelessness is a big problem in the US today. I don't think that it would be an easy or quick fix but I do think that work or jobs should be provided so the homeless have an opportunity to get out of it. I think the government could help people find jobs and get them started and on the right path, if financial aid was provided I think that some would take advantage and use money for the wrong thing. 

• I agree, I think that it will take years and years to get this problem fixed. Also, I think that more employers should be willing to hire the homeless.

• I think that homelessness is a huge problem in the United States. I think this because so many people are homeless and are judged over it when they try to get jobs. The government should focus on the people of the U.S. instead of other countries problems.

• I think homelessness in the United States is a very big problem and it is kind of over looked. But I can see both sides of it. I think that the government should help them and give them some food and shelter, but they also need to help themselves and use the money they are given for things that will help them and not drugs and alcohol. 

• I agree, I think that they should receive more help, but they should also try to help themselves as much as they can. Not all homeless people waste their money on drugs and alcohol.

• I do think that being homeless is a problem in the states and I think that it might not be easy to help them but more needs to be done. Some people do choose to spend the money they do get on drugs and/or alcohol. Some people really just can't get a job. 

• I think that homelessness is a very big problem in the United States, and not very many people know how many people are homeless. I think the government can help people by providing shelter and food. They could also provide financial aid to people to help them start a new life.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker