Homelessness in The United States

Did you know that nearly six hundred thousand people are homeless in the United States according to data from 2020. That may be a tiny percentage of the three hundred and thirty two million people that live in this country, but it is still an issue. It doesn’t matter the percentage, what matters is that there are people without shelter not knowing if they will get another meal. I think that homeless people just need more help and support from the government. I don’t mean that the government should stop worrying about everything else and focus on the homeless problem. However, some assistance is needed.

For most, living on the streets isn’t by choice. They find themselves on their own and then struggle to get back to normal living. Some try to get their lives back on track. However, most don’t have any way to clean themselves and some struggle to find food. No employer is going to want to hire someone that is dirty and not taken care of. society looks down upon the homeless, seeing them only as beggars who waste all of their money. In reality, most of them are just trying to survive. All these people need is a little help. I think that the government should get more involved in helping those who end up homeless. 

Whether it be from the citizens in the cities or the government, help is needed for the homeless. The problem with this is that there isn’t enough attention to it. To make a difference for homelessness there has to be more people realizing that it is a problem. More influencers or news outlets need to bring it up. There are people and programs already doing things for the homeless. Things like homeless shelters and food cabinets exist. More programs need to be established to keep up with the problem.

If you cannot tell, I am a big believer in helping the homeless. They are just like the rest of us, people trying to live day by day. I think that more help is needed to reestablish them into standard living. If everyone helped each other out then we wouldn’t face this problem, but that’s just not how this world works.

Do you think that Homelessness is a problem in the United States?

What do you think the government could do to help this issue?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/15/briefing/homelessness-america-housing-crisis.html 

https://endhomelessness.org/homelessness-in-america/homelessness-statistics/state-of-homelessness/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, Homelessness isn't talked about a lot. I think it needs to be put out there more, get more people to realize how bad it is.

• Homelessness is a serious problem in the U.S., every time I make a trip to the city I see at least 3 homeless people standing out in all types of weather begging for money just to afford a meal. Now there are some people who fake being homeless just for some extra cash, or homeless people will beg for money but spend it on drugs and alcohol. So I think the government should put a little money towards making shelter homes all over that make warm meals and give the homeless people a place to sleep so they don't have to stay out in whatever weather is in season.

• I think homelessness is an issue in the United States and tends to be overlooked. The government should create a program that would provide homeless people with more of an opportunity to turn their life around. The people receiving help will also have to help themselves by making good decisions with what the government provides them.

• I agree, not a lot of people talk about homelessness. Also, I agree with the homeless having to help themselves too, not just the government helping.

• Homelessness is definitly a problem in the United States and the government does need to help out the homeless more. Something the government could do is set up public bathrooms with showers and make soap cheaper. This would make it easier for homeless people to get clean, and then they could get jobs easier. 

• I think that homelessness is a problem in the United States. I think that helping them with homeless shelters and food pantries could help, but I also think that they need to try to help themselves to find a job so they can make some money. 

• I think that living on the streets is and isn’t a choice. There is a struggle to get back to normal life. There are homes for people that are homeless that help with hygiene and food. society looks down upon the homeless and people think that they are useless but they aren’t.

• I agree, I think that society thinks of the homeless badly. I don't think that should be the case. Some really try to get back to normal living.

• I do think that homelessness is a huge problem in the U.S. It definitely isn't an easy fix, but I think something can be done to fix it. Homelessness is also a huge problem in other countries too. I do think that homeless shelter help.

• I don't really think that it is a pressing issue. Unless they are doing things to harm others, I think we should just leave them be. I personally think that all they need to do is go find a job that will hire them. I don't really know how the government could help besides creating homeless shelters which they have. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker