Homelessness in The United States

Did you know that nearly six hundred thousand people are homeless in the United States according to data from 2020. That may be a tiny percentage of the three hundred and thirty two million people that live in this country, but it is still an issue. It doesn’t matter the percentage, what matters is that there are people without shelter not knowing if they will get another meal. I think that homeless people just need more help and support from the government. I don’t mean that the government should stop worrying about everything else and focus on the homeless problem. However, some assistance is needed.

For most, living on the streets isn’t by choice. They find themselves on their own and then struggle to get back to normal living. Some try to get their lives back on track. However, most don’t have any way to clean themselves and some struggle to find food. No employer is going to want to hire someone that is dirty and not taken care of. society looks down upon the homeless, seeing them only as beggars who waste all of their money. In reality, most of them are just trying to survive. All these people need is a little help. I think that the government should get more involved in helping those who end up homeless. 

Whether it be from the citizens in the cities or the government, help is needed for the homeless. The problem with this is that there isn’t enough attention to it. To make a difference for homelessness there has to be more people realizing that it is a problem. More influencers or news outlets need to bring it up. There are people and programs already doing things for the homeless. Things like homeless shelters and food cabinets exist. More programs need to be established to keep up with the problem.

If you cannot tell, I am a big believer in helping the homeless. They are just like the rest of us, people trying to live day by day. I think that more help is needed to reestablish them into standard living. If everyone helped each other out then we wouldn’t face this problem, but that’s just not how this world works.

Do you think that Homelessness is a problem in the United States?

What do you think the government could do to help this issue?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/15/briefing/homelessness-america-housing-crisis.html 

https://endhomelessness.org/homelessness-in-america/homelessness-statistics/state-of-homelessness/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that homeleness is a problem in the US. I agree that for most people it is not their choice but I believe that there is some people with multiple opportunities to reconduct and improve their lifes but they don't take advantage of them. I think the government could provide shelter for them or give economical aid as long as they are willing to change their life and not going to waste the opportunities. 

• I do think that homelessness is a problem in the United States, there are so many reasons on how or why people are homeless and not enough options or support to get them out of it. I personally think the government does the bare minimum to say they're helping, but the "solutions" they are giving homeless people aren't helping enough.

• I agree, I don't think that the government is doing enough to help them. They do a little bit and then call it good. I think that more needs to be done about the problem.

• Yes i think homeless is a problem and you never really know why thye are homeless, it could be many reasons. I think that enough people give them food and money, there are many jobs that they could also get that could help them with food and water and possibly shelter if they stay at the job long enough

• Yes I think it is, I think the government should not help because they need to find a job and get to work, I understand if your disabled or mentally unstable but other then that I think people need to start working more, unpleymoent is very high right now.

• I understand what you are saying, but some homeless people can't obtain a job. Some don't have any way to clean themselves, so it is hard for them to get a job.

• I think that homelessness is a problem in the United States as stated, a portion of the U.S. is homeless. This problem is more prevalent in large cities like Los Angleles and New York City. The only thing the government could do is increase government spending on funding foundations to help hlmeless people.

• I think that homlessness is a problem in the United States and also in other countries. Maybe there could be more shelters provided where people in need can live, especially during the winter time since it can get very cold. The shelters also could provide a little bit of food and donated clothes.

• I think that yes homelessness is a problem inb the united states. They could make shelters for them and give them food like a small meals every day, because some of them dont eat every day. At the same time there is a lot of people who are faking being homeless because they can get money from it.

• I agree, there are definitely people who act like they are homeless to get money, and I don't think that is right. Also, more shelters would be a start to fix the problem.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker