Has the internet made society better?

Many believe the internet has made society better, others believe it has worsened society. Those who think that the internet has improved society, say it's a much simpler, more accessible, and more immediate way to contact family, friends, and personal relationships. As well as being able to make payments online such as bills, online shopping, and banking. These individuals believe that social media is beneficial for society, it helps people grow deeper connections with one another. 

Sixty-four percent of the US population has stated social media has mostly a negative effect on society. Having access to social media can bring addiction and can affect our in-person communication skills. Extended screen time can result in health complications like insomnia, eyestrain, and increased anxiety and depression. The internet can cause changes to your brain, such as your memory processes and emotional behavior. Nowadays, the average attention span is five minutes. 

I believe social media can be helpful for some things, but overall it's not very effective. We as individuals don't socialize in person as much as we did when social media wasn't as popular. Most of us would rather communicate with other individuals through our phones rather than in person. 

Do you think social media has a positive or negative impact? Why? 

What's your most used social media app? 

https://www.thescientificteen.org/post/could-our-dependence-on-the-internet-negatively-affect-our-brains

https://www.internetsociety.org/internet/history-internet/brief-history-internet/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think social media has a lot of god things about it but there are definitely more bad and it has not helped society at all in my opinion. Most people let social media do the talking for them and can't make their own decisions. Simple lives are so much better than what social media offers.

• My opinion is that the internet has improved society, it's much simpler, and  it is easier  to contact family, friends, and personal relationships. As well as being able to make payments online such as bills, online shopping, and banking. I know that there are some fears of being online and social media, like hackers and viruses that can ruin someone's life

• I think that social media has a negative impact on society. I think this because it is cool that you get to talk to people and see about their lives, but there is a lot of drama and bad things from social media. Snapchat is my most used social media app that I have.

• I think it has some positive effects and some negative. Its positive by showing and telling people things that can be wrong and social media really opens your opinions on things and lets you see other point of views of things. I have learned so much from social media that im glad that I learned. But some negatives are that it can really hurt peoples feelings and that there can be really dangerous and bad things on social media. Social media has big impacts on people and it can be good and bad. My most used social media app is Tik Tok.

• I think social media has had an overall bad effect on society. People are too addicted to technology these days, and do not take time experience the things in real life. Majority of people today would rather stay inside on social media than go outside and do something, and I do not think that is good at all. Sure the internet has helped make life simpler in some aspects, but it has effected people negatively overall.

• It has a postive impact  it gives us the opportunity to see thing we may not be able to. I dont really use social media.

• I think that the media has a negative effect because when we are sitting at home or in the car we are always looking at our phones. My most used socail media app is snapchat. I think its snapchat because everyone i know uses it non-stop.

• I agree with you, social media has caused people to be a lot less social. 

• I think that social media has a major negative impact on this world. Everyone is worried about likes or followers, not about things that actually matter in this world. Also, everyone wastes their time focusing on everyone elses lives. Snapchat is one of the only social media apps that I use.

• I think the internet has had a positive and a negative effect on the world. There are a lot of bad things on the internet or social media such as bullying. Although there are positives to it by bringing awareness to certain topics, and giving people a way to communicate and post what they like. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker