Hair to clean up oil spills.

Thousands of oil spills happen every year, but they are small and don’t even spill a barrel of oil. Though one big oil spill happens each year. Oil is horrible for ecosystems and animals, when there is an oil spill the oil can get on marine life as well as some shore life like segals and otters.When oil gets on animals like birds, their feathers are covered in oil and its hard for them to regulate their body temperature and they could also drown. Birds could also ingest the oil, poisoning them. Oil can affect ecosystems by making food for sealife poorer quality or less available. 

A study from University of Technology Sydney showed that fur and human hair are the best for cleaning up oil spills. Which makes sense, our hair gets oily and absorbs the oil, and then of course we shower and wash it out with shampoo. So people have been donating their hair to get turned into hair mats. So when there is an oil spill, they collect the oil just by running the hair mat through the oil, the hair absorbs the oil. Even hair salons are donating their extra hair they cut off. The company cleans the hair and sorts it then turns it into mats.

I think this is great for helping oil spills.  It would be great if our hair salons donated their extra hair to this good cause. I wish I could donate my hair, but I get my hair cut at a salon and I cant really just pick my hair off from the ground...

if you would like to know more here is a video that explains the prosess really well. https://youtu.be/k8fsVzyj-PA

QUESTIONS 

Would you donate your hair to help clean up oil spils?

Do you think our local salons should donate the hair they cut?

What are your thoughts about oil spills. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not think that I would donate my hair to clean up oil spills because I would rather donate it to a place that makes wigs for cancer patients. I would rather do that instead becaeuse it is directly affecting a person in need. 

• Personally I would not donate my hair to help clean up oils spills. Maybe if I had supper long hair maybe but personally I just am not one of those people to donate there hair to oil spills. I feel local salons are donating hair most times to wigs and other things which can go to a good cause. I feel its up to the person who is getting there hair cut and its up to them what happens to there hair. I feel oil spills are bad and there are better ways and cleaning oil spills up instead of using hair.

• In my opinion, I would donate hair to help clean up oil spills, but I would probably only donate the hair that gets cut at the barbers. Personally, I believe that local hair salons or barbers should donate to help the environment. Oil spills are terrible accidents that pollute our earth's waters and kills many oceanic wildlife and we should take more precautions to prevent it. We should also have more ways, like donating hair, to clean up the oil spills so ordinary people can help.

• I think donating hair for oil spills is a good idea. Many people cut off a lot of their hair and throw it away, but donating would contribute to the environment and it wouldn't waste hair. Oil spills are a very bad thing for the environment. It contaminates the ocean and can hurt many wildlife.

• I personally would donate hair to help clean up oil spills since we do nothing with it and usually throw the strands away. However, I wouldn't want to keep a box of hair in my house to eventually donate. Women usually lose 50 to 100 strands of hair in a day. I think it would be a good idea for salons to donate hair since it usually ends up in the trash and they cut a large amount off. I think oil spills can be really bad for the environment due to them killing animals and plants. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker