On Saturday, gunmen burst into the six-floor hotel in Kabul, Afghanistan at the Kabul Intercontinental Hotel. The gunmen killed at least 18 people. 14 being foreigners and the other 4 being Afghans who reacted to the attack. It was said that 4 gunmen were involved, but the Taliban statement clamied that their were 5 assailants. These gunmen attacked at 9pm on Saturday when guests at the hotel were just enjoying dinner. A eyewitness stated that the gunmen had asked them to serve food first. The eyewitness claimed that they were in very stylish clothes. They came to just order food like a normal citizen would. They got there food and thanked them and then they pulled out guns and started shooting people. The ministry had started an investigation into how the attackers got broke through security which was handed to a private company two weeks before this event. The hotel manager said that the gunmen had entered through the hotel through a kitchen. While the attack was going on, the third floor, where the kitchen was located, started on fire. They were images posted of people hanging off balconies from bed sheets, stating that they were desperate to escape the under attack hotel. After the attack, several ambulances were there to help the wounded get to a hospital. To add on, In June 2011 seven Taliban fighters attacked the same hotel. By the end of that attack, the seven Taliban fighters were dead along with 11 other people. 

To read more:

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/21/asia/intercontinental-hotel-kabul-siege/index.html

1.) Why do you think the gunmen were only wanting to kill the foreigners? 

I believe that gunmen believed these people didn't belong and they didn't want them in their country. 

2.) What would you have done if you were one of the people staying inside this hotel?

I would try and escape quickly, quietly, and safely so that way the gunmen don't see or hear me. But you'd also have to think about the safe way to escape the attacked area without hurting yourself badly. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good job overall! Be sure to comment on three different days next time.

• I think the gunmen are probably against foreigners and wanted them gone so they decided to do this. I would be very scared if i were one of the people staying at the hotel i would definelty not go back to that hotel again. I would probably try to escape wihtout getting injured. 

• I think the gunmen had something against foreigners being in their country, and believed they shouldn't be there. If I were one of the people staying in this hotel, I would probably try to hide at first, but then after a while try to escape carefully, and quietly. 

• i fell like they were going after the people that dont think that they are right. they kill anyone who doesnt believe what they do. i would have hid unles they killed or took one of the people in my life that a care about. if they took somebody that i cared for i would try as hard as i could to get them back.

• I don't really know why they only wanted to kill the foreigners, maybe that was just who they ended up hiting because I think they had full auto guns and they were just spraying into the crowd. I would lock myself in my room and make as little noise as possible.

• I think that the attackers wer maybe against having foreigners in their country. f I was one of the people staying in this hotel I would try to get out of the hotel as soon as possible, but also help others in the hotel instead of just saving myself.

• Yes, I believe that they had a certain beliefs or they just did not like foreigners being in there country. They could have expressed this in a totally different and more peaceful way. And yes! It's very thoughtful to help others in the building. By doing this, you are risking your own life. 

• 1. They could have been anarchists and the also could have been Zenophobic. Some people just don't like the fact that we're a melting pot, and we mix with the other euthnic groups.

2. I would try my best to keep myself safe and keep others safe as well. It would be a tough situation, but I would try to do the things that would need to be done in this situation.

• They could possible be agianst the idea of having foreigners in their country. I'd probably freak out and maybe try to escape... I don't know what I would do. It would definitely depend on the situation I was in. 

• They were most likely racist or religious. Maybe even in a cult. If I were one of the people staying in the hotel i'd move to the nearest escape route, even if that's meaning a window. Like the some hanging by bed sheets. I'd also attempt to call authorities in hopes they got there soon enough to save many lives rather then few.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker