Gun Control In The United States

There are about 77.49 million gun owners (that's about 30% of adult Americans) in the US as of 2020 and over the past few years, there have been many changes to gun laws in the United States. There are many different opinions on the laws that have been made. For example, some people think they infringe the Second Amendment, others think that we need gun control to regulate gun violence, and some people think firearms make us safer.

The second amendment states “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”  Due to mass shootings in the United States, President Joe Biden passed the most major gun law in decades. However, this law failed to ban any weapons but it did increase funding for school safety and security to help lower the number of death by gun violence.

In many cases, elected officials have made comments on firearms that are “inaccurate”. Many firearm experts have expressed that many gun control laws are made based on "inaccurate" data by non-gun experts people. There are many different opinions on this topic and many articles that can be read on this topic.

Another topic is that many people want to push for a repeal of the 2nd Amendment, to end gun violence in the US. With the number of gun owners, it would be hard to take everyone's firearms if that did happen.

What do you think about the United States gun control laws?  Do you think that gun control is unconstitutional, why? And do you think the 2nd Amendment should be repealed?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that people have the right to own guns. It is literally a constitutional right. Those rights should not be taken away because the citizens of this country should have the right to own a gun to protect themselves and their families.

• I think that it is unconstitutional for them to take away guns, they have saved many peoples lives. The 2nd amendment should not be repealed because it is our right as citizens to be able to protect ourselves and others from harm. Also it is a way for people to hunt/get food, so if we took away guns it would be a lot harder to hunt. Also if they ever decided to take away guns I think it would cause very many issues and people would not listen.

• I agree, that there are many uses for guns other than protection. There are recreational things ots used for such as sport shooting, hunting, competitions, etc. I do believe it is our right to own them and to get everyone to give up their guns because they ar banned wouldn't go so well

• I think that people should have the right to own guns because it is a law, and it is sometimes needed for life or death situations. I don't think that it is the guns that are killing people, rather than the people using them. I don't think that the 2nd Amendement should be repealed because that amendment is used for the safety for our citizens. People need to stop focusing on taking away guns, rather than controlling who can use them. If someone with the wrong intention has a gun, that can lead to a dangerous situation. But, if someone who just wants to hunt, or protect their loved ones gets a gun, I find no problem in that.

• I think that the people have the right to own guns and firearms. My family hunts, and if they pass a law to ban firearms, we can't hunt, and what would happen if a person broke in? We wouldn't have something to protect us with. I would also like to point out, that when the US had their alcohol prohibition in 1920, alot of it went onto the black markets and mafias. If we did that with firearms, then not only are we increasing the possiblity of gun violence, but we are also making us sitting ducks. When you purchase a gun, they go through background checks, and if you don't "pass" you don't get the firearm. I think that everyone should have the right to own a gun, and be protected, because I personally think it is better to be prepared and not need it, than to need it and not be prepared.

• I do believe if firearms are banned then I doubt everyone will give them up willingly plus our economy wouldn't be so good as hunters are a way we get our food. if criminals are determined to get a forearm they will.

• I believe that people should be able to own their own firearms. There should be a lot that goes into the background checks of people who own guns. There should also be more training for guns and gun safety. Just because you have a good backgroud doesn't mean some people you know does. Gun control is important to an extent. Personally, I would own a firearm. My reason is for personal protection like other people in the US. I would rather go through extensive background checks and training then be unprotected.

• Personally, I think gun control is important, but how many people are going to follow it? I think if the people selling the guns would do a better job at checking the people's backgrounds it could help. Also, criminals would still find a way to access guns, I do not know what would really help this problem.

• I think there should be some gun control laws. But I do not believe the 2nd amendment should be changed. I believe anybody over the age of 18 and has taken a gun safety should be allowed to obtain a gun. I think gun control is constitutional. I believe everyone should have the right to bear arms and self defense 

• In my opinion I dont think that gun control is unconstitutional. I believe that everyone has a right to own a gun based on backrounds. Although I dont think that we should still keep the same system we have, I feel like we should have better backround checks on everyone and make it more efficient and accurate. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker