Gun Control In The United States

There are about 77.49 million gun owners (that's about 30% of adult Americans) in the US as of 2020 and over the past few years, there have been many changes to gun laws in the United States. There are many different opinions on the laws that have been made. For example, some people think they infringe the Second Amendment, others think that we need gun control to regulate gun violence, and some people think firearms make us safer.

The second amendment states “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”  Due to mass shootings in the United States, President Joe Biden passed the most major gun law in decades. However, this law failed to ban any weapons but it did increase funding for school safety and security to help lower the number of death by gun violence.

In many cases, elected officials have made comments on firearms that are “inaccurate”. Many firearm experts have expressed that many gun control laws are made based on "inaccurate" data by non-gun experts people. There are many different opinions on this topic and many articles that can be read on this topic.

Another topic is that many people want to push for a repeal of the 2nd Amendment, to end gun violence in the US. With the number of gun owners, it would be hard to take everyone's firearms if that did happen.

What do you think about the United States gun control laws?  Do you think that gun control is unconstitutional, why? And do you think the 2nd Amendment should be repealed?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think personally gun control is important but also at the same time, as someone else said they can still have access to guns. For example I mean some drugs are illegal, that doesn't mean that everyone stays away from them because in big groups people have connections and they somehow gain access to that. Same with guns though, they can still get caught with them. Theres similarities there though, Drugs are obviously worse than guns but I also think its unnecessary to be against abortion which some people say "Kills lives" but then again they can still stand with guns and say they should be aloud but they kill as well. It doesn't really matter if they're banned or not it just matters who is in possesion of the guns. Here in America, guns are pretty easy to access though which makes the chances more greater that guns get into the wrong hands. Which is how school shootings work, of course you need guns to do hunting which I understand but I think they shouldn't be banned just more restrictions.

• I do not think that gun control is unconstitutional. No matter what happens criminals will still find ways to get guns even if they become banned. I think that people who want guns should go through multiple background checks and there should be more rules and regulations based around it. I don't think that the second amendment should be repealed but i do think that gun control should become more strict.

• Personally I do not think that it's unconstitutional. I believe that people should have the right to have guns and to get guns but to an extent like I think that we should probably should do a more thorough backround check just to make sure that they wont do anything bad.

• I personally do not think that certain restrictions on gun control is unconstitutional. I certainly believe that people should have the right to bear arms, but there most definetly should be some regulations and rules on who can have a gun (convicted criminals and others deemed not mentally stable enough to carry etc.).

• I don't really know much about gun control in the us but i’ve never liked the idea of people having guns in their house or just with them all the time;  it doesn't make me feel more safe or more comfortable knowing that they do; but thinking about it, the problem isn't really owning the gun it's how you decide to use it. You could live in a very dangerous part of town and want your family feel safer, or it can probably help abuse victims feel safer when by themselves; with that in mind I don't think the gun is the problem, the owner is. If we look back at most school shooting cases, the kids that have perpetuated these acts have had an unstored or not well hidden, loaded gun in their houses which they would later take to school and use it to take other peoples life and then their own. If you look at this, whose fault do you think it is the kids or the parents who failed to keep that weapon out of the kids' reach? So I don't know if gun control is unconstitutional but I do think people should be more responsible with them or we should have stricter rules that limit the amount of people that can buy a gun or make them get a permit.

• Gun control rarly if ever works in this country and polotictions arn't willing to admit it. In places like chicago with high levels of gun control gang members just buy their guns of the streets, leaving many law biding citizens with no options to defend themselves angaist gang violence. California is the state with the highest gun control, it also happens to be the state with the second most school shooting in the country. 

• I am on the second amendment train. I do not think think the second admentent should be replaced it is fine how it is and should'nt  even change for a matter in fact. the second admendent is one of the biggest admendments in the admenents.

• I believe that the second amendment still holds up today. Even though the founding father's had the reason defending oneself from the government, today people use guns for self defence and recreational uses like hunting or shooting in ranges. The problem lies within the wielder, not the weapon. Because of this I would be okay if the government put more restrictions that wouldn't affect most users. For instance, they could have checks for all gun owners' mental health and criminal record for every amount of time to deem people fit for ownership. I believe this would be okay because it wouldn't affect any regular people, but could stop gun violence. I do not believe that it is unconstitutional because the founding fathers had put thought into the constitution and deemed it a right for American citizens. The 2nd Amendment should not be repealed because most people who own guns have good reasons to keep them. Some people have them to defend themselves and others have poured thousands into guns for sport, so they should be able to keep them.

• i get where you are coking from, some thing that many people do not know but all firearm purchases have a background chheck done before hand to make sure they are fit for ownership

• I think that the U.S. does have very fair and safe laws with gun control. But I do think that there should a longer process you have to go through to be cleared to own a gun. I do think that 2nd Amendment should not be replaced because it's a constitutional right that we should have the right to bear arms. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker