Gun Control In The United States

There are about 77.49 million gun owners (that's about 30% of adult Americans) in the US as of 2020 and over the past few years, there have been many changes to gun laws in the United States. There are many different opinions on the laws that have been made. For example, some people think they infringe the Second Amendment, others think that we need gun control to regulate gun violence, and some people think firearms make us safer.

The second amendment states “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”  Due to mass shootings in the United States, President Joe Biden passed the most major gun law in decades. However, this law failed to ban any weapons but it did increase funding for school safety and security to help lower the number of death by gun violence.

In many cases, elected officials have made comments on firearms that are “inaccurate”. Many firearm experts have expressed that many gun control laws are made based on "inaccurate" data by non-gun experts people. There are many different opinions on this topic and many articles that can be read on this topic.

Another topic is that many people want to push for a repeal of the 2nd Amendment, to end gun violence in the US. With the number of gun owners, it would be hard to take everyone's firearms if that did happen.

What do you think about the United States gun control laws?  Do you think that gun control is unconstitutional, why? And do you think the 2nd Amendment should be repealed?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the United States need stricter gun control. A gun is a powerful weapon which can cause much harm and kill people, so I don't think that everyone should be able to own such a weapon. For example, in Germany you need a special licence and cause why you should be allowed to own a gun. 

• In the united states, not everyone can own a gun, no one can buy a firearm unless 21+ and has had a background check before buying it, a firearm shouldn't be looked at as a thing that kills. many things kill and harm people. like a knife, should we get stricter laws on knives and require a license to own one because you can kill someone with it? Guns are made for many reasons like self-defense, recreational use like hunting, and there's many more. You cannot blame a gun for killing and harming someone just like you cannot blame a piece of paper for giving you a paper cut, it is not the paper's fault it cut you its the person holding its at fault just like a gun you cannot blame the gun for it, blame the person pulling the trigger. There are many articles you can research on firearms that I suggest looking up and finding out a lot more about them

• I do not think that the second amendment should be repealed. Only because every Us citizen should have the right to protect themselves with a firearm and should be allowed to own any guns they want. If they repeal the second amendment, criminals will find a way to get a firearm and then you won't be able to protect yourself. 

• I agree, that there are many uses for a firearm that should be allowed to be done by all people (that pass background checks and such)

• I think every American has the right to bear arms. It is in the Constition for a reason and should stay like that forever. Self defense is very important especially in today's world. Not only do people use them for self defense but also to hunt and do other fun things with them.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker