Government Shut Down 2nd Day

On Sunday, 1/21/18 the government is on its second day of shutdown. The shutdown went into the second day because of recriminations deepending between the parties with no progress towards the impasse. The Senete will return to work in the early afternoon. There is many hopes for a breakthrough to happen Sunday. The breakthrough is over, the "refusal of Senate Democrats to vote to fund the government until President Donald Trump agrees to deal wth the fate of 700,000 people brought to the US illegally as children." Trump said," there shouldn't be a shutdown, but there is." Chuck Schumer a Democratic Senate put the blame on the president, that he was falling well short of his, "Art of the Deal." Schummer said, "Negotiating with the White House is like negotiating with Jell-O, it is next to impossible." 

Hyper Link

1) Do you think it was a good or bad idea to shut down the government? Yes or no please explain?

2)Why did the government shutdown? Explain. 

Personal Answers:

1) I personally don't think it was a good idea to shut down the government, because it is just costing the government more money and making everything complicated for the governmet. Many people (veterans) won't get paid right now they are broke. When the government gets running again they have to pay them the money that they were suppose to get when they were shutdown. In coclusion the government is speding more mpney then if they didn't shutdown. 

2) Refusal of Senate Democrats to vote to fund the government until President Donald Trump agrees to deal wth the fate of 700,000 people brought to the US illegally as children. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Your summary is good but when there aren't a lot of student comments, be sure to reply to most if not all of them.

• I think it was a good idea, because it allows the government time to think things through and come up with solutions and then returning ot their jobs instead of doing both at the same time. The Senate democrats would not vote to fund the goverment until Trump will deal with the 700,000 children brought here illegally.

• I think that it was a bad idea to shut the government down, but it was a necessity. If President Trump was not going to go to the negotiating table to talk to Democrats, why should they find a middle ground when there is none that is being offered? It isn't the opposition's job to find a middle ground, that is up to the governing party. It was caused by the Republican intransigence to not agree to fund DACA which Senate Democrats demanded as a way to stop the shutdown.

• In my opinion a government shutdown is something that should be avoided as much as possible. Government shutdowns cost a lot of money, cuase drama, and overall its just pathetic that these people we trust to support the people can't solve problems in a different/less controversial way. This shutdown was caused by Senate Democrats refusing to provide funding to the government, until President Trump agrees to address the 700,000 people illeagally brought to the United States.

• Shuting down the government isn't a very good idea it cost $20 billlion for the shut down. According to Trump it is the democrats vote on the Daca that is holding the governmnet in a shut down.

• Shutting down the government may have been a good idea, but even if it was, it made the situation much more dramatic than it needed to be. As of now Trump doesn't even have a plan with what to do about the 700,000 immagrants, and until he has some sort of idea about what he will be doing, the government is losing more and more money. 

• Good point about how Trump doesn't have a plan about the immagrants. Along with the point about losing money it will also take the demcrats a longer time to agree with the republican's because they want Trump to deal with the immagrants or have some sort of plan/idea of what Trump wants to do before they decide. 

• I think it was a good idea. Like the guy said, it is hard to pusuade the government. I don't even know why they try to offer deals to them. They shut down though was for a reason and it's not like we can stop it now. 

• I understand that shutting down the government is bringing forth a huge issue and forcing Trump and other officials to figure things out, but  I also think it's dramatic. There are other ways to solve problems that don't require a government shutdown that leads to the attention of the press and the worry of the nation. The government shutdown because an agreement wasn't reached on what was going to happen to hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants. The government doesn't want to fund Trump without knowing what his plan is to do with 700,000 illegal immigrants.

• What are the other ways that the government can solve problems that don't requirs a government shutdown? Please Explain.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker