Gorilla Breaks Glass at Omaha Zoo

A YouTube video is going viral because a gorilla charged the glass window the Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and it was caught on camera. In the video you can see a little girl's shadow on the glass hitting her chest. Shortly after, the gorilla charges and cracks the glass. He luckily only broke the first of 3 layers of the glass. The 3 male gorillas are between the ages of 17 to 22 and this is a common time for gorilla's to be aggressive as they become adults. The zoo said this is the first time the glass has broken because of gorillas, usually it is because of environmental or building causes. The zoo usually replaces the glass regularly. 

I think this is kind of funny but yet scary at the same time. Gorillas are one of my favorite animals because they are so fun to watch. I can't imagine being in the zoo at the time this happened because it could have gotten a lot worse and I don't know what I would do. This is also kind of scary because the zoo is close to home and the gorillas could do it again. 

Questions:

What would you do if you were at the zoo when this happened with any animal?

Will this change your thoughts of gorillas? Why or why not?

Link to the whole story 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would be super scared!! But I wouldn't be like frantic because if they were trained that wouldn't be that bad! But if they were trained and angry I don't know what I would expect. I'd defiantly run though! lol

• Me too! I would be kind of scared but I don't really know. 

• I think it would be funny to see this happen

• I feel so bad for all the animals that are at the zoo because they were not made to be so 'Domesticated' by humans, but they were meant to live their natural habitat. I don't think that people realize how much those animals may be depressed because they don't have the whole ocean, jungle, or desert to roam like their relatives do. I always see people trying to make the monkeys made at the zoo, but I don't think they realize that the monkeys/ gorillas have to put up with this everyday. 

• I can totally see your opinion. I've never really thought about this before but it makes sense. It is still fun to see animals at the zoo.

• I think animals living in a zoo are going crazy because it's not their normal living conditions. I guess I would be scared but they had 3 layers of glass so I know I should be safe.

• I would probably be a little freaked out if this happened while I was at the zoo. It's not the gorillas fault that they broke the glass. Gorillas aren't supposed to be in cages anyways. 

• I would be surprised but thought it was really care. No I love gorillas. 

• If this happened while I was there, I'd be pretty freaked with a gorilla. If it was a zebra or something, maybe I'd be okay. This doesn't change my opinion on gorillas at all.

• I am not for sure what I would do if I was there when something happened like that. It would be scary but interesting. This does not change my thought of gorillas. They obviously can get aggressive and if the zoo said its common for them to be aggressive as adults, it shouldn't matter. It's natural.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker