Gold Coin Stolen

A 220- pound gold coin named "Big Maple Leaf" was stolen from a museum in Berlin. The coin has a face value worth 1 million Canadian Dollars (750,000 US Dollars). With how much the coin weighs, it would be worth almost 4.5 million dollars at market prices. The coin is in the Guinness Book of Records for its unmatched purity of 999.99/1000 gold. The coin has a bunch of Maple Leafs on one side and a portrait of Queen Elizabeth the second on the other. The coin was issued by the Royal Canadian Mint in 2007. The police think that the thieves broke open a window on the back side of the museum next to the railroad tracks. The museum has on of the largest coin collections in the world with more the 540,000 coins.

Questions:

What would you do if you operated the Museum?

Why do you think the people stole the coin?

If i operated the museum and came to work and saw that the coin was stolen i would immediately call the cops and then i would start looking around to see were the thieves would have came in and check the cameras that were around the coin if there were any.

I don't know why the thieves stole the coin but they probably want to sell the coin so they can be rich and have money for themselves. 

You can read the whole story here

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would call the police right away and I would try to check the security cameras of the museum. You could maybe see on the cameras who the thieves were or how they got into the museum. The thieves probably stole the coin because of its great value. They might want to sell it on the black market or to some rich collectors so they can get a bunch of money out of it.

• If I operated the museum and saw that the coin was taken I would look around first to check if anyone looked suspicious and then I would call the cops to try to catch whoever took the coin. I think that the people that stole the coin wanted to have a lot of money so they took the coin in hopes that they would become rich. 

• I would also start looking around to see if anything looked suspicious and you would think that they security guards would have noticed and called the museum director as soon as they noticed or call the police right then and there

• I would be super upset that these thieves were just able to break through a window and steal the coin, it shouldnt be that easy. If this museum has all these coins worth millions of dollars, you'd think that there would be a good security system. They pry stole it for the money. It doesn't seem like it was that hard to steal it, they pry thought it was an easy pay day.

• You would think that the museum would have better security with a giant coin collection like this you would think that the thieves would have been caught by now

• I would be extremely upset about this happening. The museum is supposed to keep such items safe and protected. The coin is obviously expensive and the people could make a lot of money by selling it and profiting off it.

• I would be upset to that this happened and i bet that the thieves stole the coin to sell it to someone and get money for themselves

• I would be extremely worried, but would notify the authorities immediately and look for clue as to how the thieves could have gotten in. If there were night security guards I would also ask them if they heard or saw anything, and why they let thieves steal a 220- pound gold coin. I think the thieves stole the coin because they knew they could make a lot of money off of it if they sold it. 

• I would be worried to and then i would immediately call the authorities,  i would ask the security guards  if they saw anything either

• If I were the one who operated the museum and walked in and saw that almost a million dollars with of gold had been stolen, I would check the security cameras to see if the cameras had caught anything,and of course I would call the cops and tell them what had happened. They probably stole the gold to get money for it and spend it on there own things.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker