Girl dies in British theme park Accident

An 11-year-old girl on a school trip died after she fell from a water ride at a UK theme park, local police have confirmed. The incident happened at the Splash Canyon ride at Drayton Manor theme park, north of Birmingham, Staffordshire Police said.

Bryan added that staff were alerted when the girl fell into the water. "The theme park staff tried to help her and an air ambulance airlifted her to a hospital nearby," he said.  The girl, a student at the Jameah Academy in Leicester, was on a school visit to the park when the incident occurred. The school released a statement confirming that the year 6 student had died. The park would remain closed Wednesday "as a mark of respect to the family," a statement on the park's Facebook page said. It did not specify how long the ride in question would be suspended.
Click for Here full story
Questions
1. Do you think it was the park staff careless that the girl fell? And why?

2. Was it enough punishment for the ride to be suspended? why and why not?

3. Would you take a child to this park to ride a water ride?
I think It was the staff careless because they have to make sure that the girl was in a good secured positioned before making her ride the thingy, and after all she was so little she needed much attention towards her. I think it was enough punishment for the ride to be suspended because they feel bad about it and they have learnt their lesson considering the accident. The staffs in to be more extra careful to kids. I won't take a child to ride it again.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I believe it was just an accident, and nothing that bad was going to happen. I believe that it was right for the ride to be suspended that way nobody will get hurt again, and they can fix it.

• No, I don't think its all there fault for the most part I think they did what they were suppose to do. I think the ride should be closed forever because if a girl dies then that ride should never be opened again.

• If I was a mother, I would definitely steer clear of taking my child(ren) to a theme park where accidents have occurred in the past. That would throw up red flags for me as a parent. It happened once so it could easily happen again to my child. 

• I think that the theme park is going to lose a lot of money if the ride that was suspended is their main attraction. I don't think that suspending the ride is really punishment versus just being a sign that the theme park wants to be as safe as possible for the people coming to visit.

• I don't think that the park staff were necessarily careless with the fact that the girl fell. They did all they could do and even took it further to close the park as a sign of respect. I would hope that the girl was following all safety precautions while being on the ride.

• I highly doubt that it was the park staffs fault because she could have been acting stupidly. I think that the ride should be investigated to make sure that the proper safty equipment is used on the ride. I would, because we don't need to live life in fear of what might happen or what could happen next.

• The ride staff are usually people who just need a summer job. I think the staff need to spend more time paying attention to the riders and how they are seated. Now, this may have been the girls fault. I know kids get squirmy and sometimes touch things they shouldn't. The girl may have accidentally pushed a button and unhinged their belt.

I also think the ride should have been suspended and investigated. They need to figure out how the girl fell and why. If it was her fault, their isn't much they can do. If it was the rides fault, uh oh... 

• I never thought of it that way but you make a logical point. It could be the staff's fault or even the little girl's fault who fatally made a mistake. I think it is wise that the theme park suspends the ride and investigates what happened in this tragic accident. If it was the girl's fault then that's that. And if it is the ride's fault, they are going to have some legal issues!! 

• No because you really can't do anything if she half way down the slide and falls off like what is the lifeguard supposed to do run down the stairs after her and try to caught her. Yeah suspending the ride was good but running maintenance check could also be good to see if they can prevent it better like see where she fell off and maybe make that part of it bigger. Yah if they made them safer and didn't just close it for one day and just leave it how it is. 

• I agree there really waas nothing they could do, and i think that maybe enclosing the slide might prevent this accident.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker