Girl dies in British theme park Accident

An 11-year-old girl on a school trip died after she fell from a water ride at a UK theme park, local police have confirmed. The incident happened at the Splash Canyon ride at Drayton Manor theme park, north of Birmingham, Staffordshire Police said.

Bryan added that staff were alerted when the girl fell into the water. "The theme park staff tried to help her and an air ambulance airlifted her to a hospital nearby," he said.  The girl, a student at the Jameah Academy in Leicester, was on a school visit to the park when the incident occurred. The school released a statement confirming that the year 6 student had died. The park would remain closed Wednesday "as a mark of respect to the family," a statement on the park's Facebook page said. It did not specify how long the ride in question would be suspended.
Click for Here full story
Questions
1. Do you think it was the park staff careless that the girl fell? And why?

2. Was it enough punishment for the ride to be suspended? why and why not?

3. Would you take a child to this park to ride a water ride?
I think It was the staff careless because they have to make sure that the girl was in a good secured positioned before making her ride the thingy, and after all she was so little she needed much attention towards her. I think it was enough punishment for the ride to be suspended because they feel bad about it and they have learnt their lesson considering the accident. The staffs in to be more extra careful to kids. I won't take a child to ride it again.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that the park staff was completely lacking and this totally could of been avoided if they would of actually been doing there job. Safety needs to be updated and the ride should open right when the safety was updated and test multiple times.

• I think that the girl fell, because she was doing something that she was not supposed to be doing on that ride, because there have been no other problems until now. I don't think they were being careless, because how could they have known she was going to fall? I think that the ride being suspended is a good punishment, but it's also not fair because she wasn't doing what she was supposed to . I would take my kid to this park and ride a water ride because they didn't do anything wrong. 

• I think you share a very common thought of it being the girl's fault when it easily could've been the staff's fault for not paying attention. Regardless if it hasn't happened in the past, the staff should always be prepared for something like this to occur. That's their job and if they aren't doing what they're supposed to, that's an issue. 

• It could be that the staff was careless or the girl was exploring and tripped. It was enough unless police find that it was the staff's fault.

• If the girl fell she was obviously doing something she was not supposed to be doing on the ride since no other problems have ever occured. I do not think the accident is the park's fault; however, they should be sure to take extra precautions in the future. I do think it was enough punishment for the ride to be closed down, especially if the accident was not the park's fault. 

• I never thought of that perspective. She could have been goofing off while not realizing she was putting her life in danger. Amusement parks in general can cause scary accidents if you aren't careful.

• That is a good point, I never thought about the possibility of the girl doing something she shouldn't have been doing. This incident could have gone either way had the staff checked a little better and the girl follow the rules of the ride.  

• I agree if it was the first accident that has happened on the ride then the girl was probably doing something that she shouldn't have been doing. I think they should take extra precautions in the future so this doesn't happen again. 

• I think that the girl might have fallen out because she wasn't following the rules very good. I don't really know the whole story. I also think that the park people should be very careful from now on.

• Right, no one really knows the true story. The girl could have easily been messing around but still with that the park staff should have checked her out before letting the ride go. I think the park is probably feeling really bad about what happened, maybe they should or will do something for the family. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker