Girl dies in British theme park Accident

An 11-year-old girl on a school trip died after she fell from a water ride at a UK theme park, local police have confirmed. The incident happened at the Splash Canyon ride at Drayton Manor theme park, north of Birmingham, Staffordshire Police said.

Bryan added that staff were alerted when the girl fell into the water. "The theme park staff tried to help her and an air ambulance airlifted her to a hospital nearby," he said.  The girl, a student at the Jameah Academy in Leicester, was on a school visit to the park when the incident occurred. The school released a statement confirming that the year 6 student had died. The park would remain closed Wednesday "as a mark of respect to the family," a statement on the park's Facebook page said. It did not specify how long the ride in question would be suspended.
Click for Here full story
Questions
1. Do you think it was the park staff careless that the girl fell? And why?

2. Was it enough punishment for the ride to be suspended? why and why not?

3. Would you take a child to this park to ride a water ride?
I think It was the staff careless because they have to make sure that the girl was in a good secured positioned before making her ride the thingy, and after all she was so little she needed much attention towards her. I think it was enough punishment for the ride to be suspended because they feel bad about it and they have learnt their lesson considering the accident. The staffs in to be more extra careful to kids. I won't take a child to ride it again.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• The staff i bet was not careless because they knew anyones life could be on the line and at all time but at the moment the girl was out the staff maybe looked away for the split second. I would let my child go on this ride just not until they were clearly big enough and until the safety was up to date.

• I think the staff was probably being careless and not checking how secure the girl was to the extent that they should have. I think that it being suspended is enough but they probably need to be more thorough with their security checks before they let small people on the ride so that this kind of thing is prevented in the future.

• I think the staff could have been careless, because when you think about it, all they really do all day is strap people in for their rides, and sometimes people can tend to get a bit sloppy if they're just monotonously doing the same thing over and over again. I think that the ride should be closed down for good rather than simply being suspended, not so much as a punishment, but as a safety measure to ensure that it doesn't happen again. I would definitely not let a child ride this again after this incident.

• I don't think that staff was extremely careless, I think it was a terrible accident that couldn't really have been avoided. I think the ride being suspended was a good choice. I don't think I would let my child ride this water ride until everything has calmed down, and maybe after the park took a few more precautions. 

• I bet there were looking out but it might of been one of those times where the girl is in the wrong place at the wrong time where she happened to die. It also could of lead up to the girls choice to maybe unbuckle herself from her harness.

• I don't think so, because its possible that something could've went wrong or happened during the ride. Yes, I think the punishment was enough for the park and ride. Probably not until they made sure that something like this wouldn't happen again. 

• I don't think  the staff is to blame because usually staff if on alert and it was probably just a really bad accident that wasn't meant to happen.  Well yea the ride doesn't need to bbe shutdown it was an accident it can always be more preventable

• I think that it was just an accident and they did what they could to help her after it happened. I think it's punishment enough because the girl died and the lesson is learned. I think they will probably start to have more safety checks because you are starting to see more and more accidents happen on carnival rides and theme parks. I think I would take my child to a theme park and a water ride just not the one that someone died on. 

• I don't think it was anyways fault that she fell it was just a tragic accident. I think it was enough punishment for the ride to be suspended because they feel bad for what happened. I probably would not take a child to this park again. 

• Well there should have been a reason why she fell and children are always children, they don't understand anything when they are doing something so it is the staffs work to make sure they are very well attended.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker