Gender Identity

Gender identity is one's own way of identifying their gender, whether that is man, woman, neither or both. If you asked a group of people how many genders there are, you would get many different answers such as 2, 6, 14 etc. Personally, I believe there are only two genders male and female. There are many different reasons for this like roles, behaviors, and activities. Nowadays society at a given time considers it appropriate for men and women to divide labor for certain jobs. A person born with both male and female parts also known as intersex a disorder of sexual development, Majority of parent choose whether that child is a boy or girl.

There's a question going around right now and that is Should “gender identity” be added to anti-discrimination laws? 56% of Iowa said yes and that the government should do more to protect minorities from discrimination. The other 44% said no that the government should address gender identity as a mental health issue and provide funds for more research and care for those who need it, or that there are only two genders which are genetically determined not psychologically determined. I don't believe that gender identity should be added to anti-discrimination, because your born with either XX chromosomes or XY chromosomes unless intersex happens but in the end the baby is chosen to be a boy or girl. 

How many genders do you think there are?

Do you think gender identity should be added to anti-discrimination laws? 

https://www.isidewith.com/poll/2218747079/stance/2219296013

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/02/996319297/gender-identity-pronouns-expression-guide-lgbtq

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/gender-identity/sex-gender-identity/whats-intersex

https://www.bsuh.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2016/09/Gender-and-Sexual-Diversities-Briefing.pdf

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and really good job Rilee! I do think your summary could be a tad longer. Awesome job on replies!!

• I think there are 3 because there is intersex, girl, and boy. Intersex is wehre you have body parts that a girl has and a boy doesn't but you also have a part that a boy has and a girl doesn't. I also understand if people think that there is 2 genders because that is what they have been told most of their lives.

• I believe that there are only two genders. You are either a male or female, and that is a scientific fact. People do not get to choose what gender they are either. I do not think that gender identity should be added to anti-discrimination laws.

• I agree with you, and there are been things proven that there are two genders and two genders only which if everyone believed that things would be so much easier with life itself, People shouldnt get to chose that they don't want to be a boy a or a girl anymore and what makes people feel that way is very confusing to me and something that i will never understand.

• I think that there are only two genders. But I also do believe that you should respect other peoples pro nouns even though you may not believe in them. Over all, there are only two genders and that is not an opinion, but a scientific fact. 

• I believe that there are 2 genders. Plain and simple, there is male and female. I dont stand nor do i believe that it should be added to anti discrimination laws. They bshould be identified as the gender they were born as. I strong disagree wiith these choices that they suddenly feel is alright. They have given people to choose what are suddenly go back to 2005, they was man and women. Yes I understand that certian things happen when a child is born with a defect, but a there is only 2 genders

• I think there is only 2 genders. Male or female.  I don't think gender indentity should be added to anti-discrimination laws. There shouldn't be more research on if there are more then 2 genders. They should focus on whys sometimes babys are born with intersex. And what can be used to prevent this from happening

• I think there are two genders. People can have different sexuality's or a masculine style. But people making up these random names and calling it a gender is so confusing. It doesn't harm me any but it doesn't make any sense.

• I agree with you, people nowadays, especially this generation, are changing and making up so many new things with genders it gets harder for younger children to know what the truth is and what to actually understand.  I feel that it should just be the two genders and things could be so much easier in this world. 

• I think that there are two genders. God created a man and a woman. People who think there are more than two genders are just not thinking right. I dont think that this should be added to anit-discrimination laws. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker