Last month, a four year old boy by the name of Hunter Jackson took a spent .22 caliber bullet to school, with it in his pocket. Before this incident, the boy's mother got a letter in the mail from the preschool saying that he was acting like he was shooting things on the playground at recess. For bringing this harmless object to school, he was suspended for a week. While Hunter's grampa was teaching him about gun respect and safety, Hunter found the shell and kept it. The school teacher met with Hunter's mother and told her that he had brought an "shotgun bullet" to school. Mrs. Jackson doesn't think that a seven day suspension from school will teach Hunter anything, and the school "doesn't want him there because of the things he enjoys."

Link

1.) Do you think the preschool is being to harsh on the Jackson family? Explain.

2.) What do you think Hunter will learn from this seven day suspension?

My answers:

1.) I think the school is being way too harsh on him because it is a harmless, spent .22 shell. He is also just four years old and doesn't know what is harmful or harmless to bring to school.

2.) I really don't think he will learn anything from this suspension because he is just four years old and will probably forget in a year.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Brock!

• Kinda because it's preschool, preschool should not come down on the family this hard, kids that age don't know better but at the same time it's kinda fair because kids should learn that this is not ok to bring to school. I don't really think he'll learn much because he's too young but he'll probably learn to not bring that stuff to school again.

• I think that is the dumbest thing a school can suspend you for. It was an empty shell what harm could it do besides a choking hazard but then what isn't a hazard these days to children. I would hope to not care because I would do it again that bull crap to get in trouble for a used ammo casing. 

• I don't think that the preschool was that harsh on the Jackson family because the child needs to learn from early on that guns are not to be messed with. If he grows up thinking that kind of behavior is accepted, it might escalate later for example a shooting at school or somewhere else. Even though the object itself was harmless, the act might not be all that harmless. He might learn something or not. 

• I do think the preschool is being too harsh. He is just a preschooler and he doesn't exactly know what he is doing. He is 4 years old. He just thinks it is something fun and doesn't know that it is associated with harm. I don't really think he will learn much besides not to bring things to school anymore because you might get in trouble for it. 

• I think that this is over the top because it's not like he can really do much harm with a gun shell. I honestly don't think that there will be anything learnt from this. 

• I agree with you because he is so young and can't do any harm with the shell.

• I think that this is way to harsh. Jackson is four years old what is suspending him for a week going to do? In my opinion I don't think that he is going to learn anything from that, the only thing that is going to do is deprive him from learning. I don't think he will get anything out of this. He will only learn something if his parents teach him that it is not okay. I also think that maybe his grandpa should sit down and talk to him. 

• I also agree with you because he is way to young to do anything harmful with this shell and a week of suspension won't teach him anything.

• The school is being harsh on this boy's family, I mean, hes just a kid, only four years old, and it wasn't even a real gun, just the shell of a bullet. Since Hunter is only four, he will most likely forget in about a year, maybe sooner than that.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker