Fit for a Queen?

Queen Elizabeth, Queen of England, has recently done an interview with BBC and discussed her coronation which occurred on June 2, 1953, over 65 years ago. At this time, the queen was only 27 years old. She described one of the crowns she wore during the coronation as heavy enough to "break your neck". The crown weighs four pounds and 12 ounces and is made of solid gold. It also contains diamonds and other stones that added to the weight. The Queen also discussed the carriage ride to the ceremony. She said that it was very uncomfortable and could only travel at a walking pace. There have been very few television interviews with the Queen and the fact that she discussed the coronation, makes this interview even more rare. 

Click here to read more!

Questions:

1. Within the article, it says two crowns are used in the ceremony. Why do you think the Queen wears more than one crown during the coronation?

2.  What are your thoughts about the publicity that the coronation receives? Do you think that it should be more private?

3. The crown and carriage made the Queen uncomfortable during the coronation. Do you think they should have done more to make her feel more comfortable?

I believe that one of the crowns used during the coronation is a traditional crown that every queen or king wears during their coronation. The second crown, I believe, is the new king or queens personal crown that they wear regularly. I like that the coronation is very public because the people should feel like they are a part of the event. The things used during the ceremony that made the queen feel uncomfortable are things that are traditional, like the crown and the carriage. To change those things, you would be altering the traditions of the ceremony. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good job Anna!

• Because one is probably nicer but way more uncomfortable and heavy, while the other is better to wear but isn't as nice.

I think that it should be pretty public because she is in complete control of a huge country.

Make nicer items for her to use, more padding so it is more convinient.

• I think one crown would be used that is lighter weight after they used the heavy ones. The coronation should be a public event, similar to a president taking oath in office, to make the world know who is the new leader. I think they could've and probably should have done more to make her more comfortable, but for the times, they can only do so much.

• one is maybe one beinf passed down and the other one is maybe their own personal one. its a big thing in a King and Queens life so i think they should be able to diced if they want it to be public or if they want it to bemore just family and freinds. they could have made it more for them but it could have been hard because they would have to make it different for everyone who ever has to ride in it

• They probably will use the actual crown for during the 'main' portion of the ceremony and then switch it out for a much lighter and comfortable crown later. I think it is closely related to how our presidents are sworn in, they show it so people can see their new leader being appointed and it gives them a little veiw of how there Queen acts. I also believe that if they have a 4 pound gold crown they could have put a little more money into the carriage to make her more comfortable. 

• I agree that they should be able to find ways to make the carriage a little more comfortable, but maybe do it without changing the carriage itself. I feel like they wouldn't want to change the carriage itself because it would mess with traditions. 

• 1. I do not know, but to me it seems a very ostentatious nonsense, I think there are better ways to invest the money.
    2. I guess people are interested in seeing the coronation, and that's why it was so publicized.
    3. I do not think anything will happen because it is uncomfortable for a couple of hours, we are talking about a carriage and crowns of gold and diamond, I believe that it can be endured.

• If they were aware that the Queen was very uncomfortable, they probably should have done something, but they might not have known she was uncomfortable, and I'm assuming she didn't want to complain and feel bossy on her first day. On the flip side of that, presenting yourself as a queen doesn't come from a place of comfort.

• I like your thoughts on the 2 crowns, creative. The only other reason I'm coming up with is that it could be a backup. I feel like the coronation would mean more if it was more of a private thing. Maybe it would be better to make the legal part of the coronation more private, but make the crowning a public occasion. I'm not that educated on coronations, so I could be wrong.

• I never really thought of one crown being a backup during the coronation, that's a good thought! I agree that if it were private to the family, it might mean a little more to the Queen!

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker