Figure Skaters and Eating Disorders

Two Figure Skaters Gracie Gold from the United States and Yulia Lipnitskaya from Russia both were at the last olympics and won metals. They quite because of an eating disorder. When figure skating the performers are being judged on their jumps finishes and their overall routines however some think they are being judged on the bodies. these aren't the only skaters that have had eating disorder and Gracie and Yulia are only teenagers. It's not only females are coming out that they have eating disorders males are coming out now too.

Questions:

If you were either of Gracie or Yulia's parents how would you handle this situation with the eating disorder?

Would you ever let them go back to Skating?

if i was there parent i would want them to get help right away because i want them to be the best version of them and be healthy. I would feel bad if that's what they thought they had to have this certain body and that's what they thought the judges were looking at. I would probably let them go back if it's what they really wanted to do and if they promised they would not make themself sick or anything to hurt them and to maintain that certain body.

To Read more Click Here!

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I dont think anyone really knows how to handel it unless you've lived throught it or know someone who has. i think setting rules and makeing sure they eat right will help them get back on track with what they need if they would want to go back

• I would do my best to get them help. From family expierences with eating disorders, they are like a demon is taking over your body. I would try outpaitent first, if that is benefiting my child, inpaitent is key. I would let them go back to skating, but without the professional help. They can do it on their own.

• Its quite a situation it be in and its good that you would try to help and be involed and not just say whatever with it and not just keep pusing them harder and harder with skating. Do you think if that if you said they couldnt go back they would maybe hate you but you knew it was for there own good?

• I'm sure they would 'hate' me but I would rather have a child alive that's healthy than a dead child that I would have to bury.

• Yes I would let them go back to skating. If it is something that my child loves and something they want to do then why would I say no. Anyone can become whatever they want through training and hard work. An eating disorder is a minor setback but it is something that can be treated. Maybe take a break for a while if things are getting bad but just mainly monitor them.

• If I was either of these girls parents, l would try and help my child get better; however, most of the time teenagers with eating disorders don't openly talk about it. These girls tend to hid their problems or not even believe they have a problem to begin with. I think there should be less pressure on girls to be skinny and "normal".

• This world has people that say they are what girls need to look like and its not helping anyone because they want to be just like them and if the dont meet this standard they wont get the life like all the people are saying are "normal" i agree with you on that and that girls shouldnt have to meet this standarded on haveing to be "perfect".

• If I was a parent of either of the figure skaters with an eating disorder I would do everything in my power to get them the medical help they need. I would even consider sending them to therapy sessions to talk about what figure skating has done to their mental health as well since it affected their physical health. If my child throughouly enjoyed skating and competeing in the sport, I would allow them to go back, but I would watch their eating habits and make sure they maintained a healthy physique. 

• If I were there parent I would try and help them from the hard time; however, would it not only hurt me but my kid would be hurt worse. I would as long as they got the help they needed and I knew that they were all better and they would agree to keep me updated on how they were doing with things. 

• 1. Get them to at food to keep them health so they don't get unhealthy.

2. I would let them skate if they will eat food and stay health and if there Doctor approve of them going back to it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker