Figure Skaters and Eating Disorders

Two Figure Skaters Gracie Gold from the United States and Yulia Lipnitskaya from Russia both were at the last olympics and won metals. They quite because of an eating disorder. When figure skating the performers are being judged on their jumps finishes and their overall routines however some think they are being judged on the bodies. these aren't the only skaters that have had eating disorder and Gracie and Yulia are only teenagers. It's not only females are coming out that they have eating disorders males are coming out now too.

Questions:

If you were either of Gracie or Yulia's parents how would you handle this situation with the eating disorder?

Would you ever let them go back to Skating?

if i was there parent i would want them to get help right away because i want them to be the best version of them and be healthy. I would feel bad if that's what they thought they had to have this certain body and that's what they thought the judges were looking at. I would probably let them go back if it's what they really wanted to do and if they promised they would not make themself sick or anything to hurt them and to maintain that certain body.

To Read more Click Here!

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would try and help them right away if I as their parents. Especially if they are participating in the Olympics. They need energy for the event. So, they need to eat healthy. An eating disorder will counter that.

I would let them skate, as long as they could without having a problem with the eating disorder.

• 1. I would just have them start eating normally at home, promoting healthy habits. I think that you can still eat and be skinny enough to compete.

2. I would let them go back if they starting eating again.

• Monatoring what they eat could help them out and you have a good point you can still eat and he skinny. and you would let them go back. Do you think there is another reason they didnt think they were not good eough to compleat without starving them selfs or hurting themself?

• I would start making family meals and make them appear to be healthy so she would at least eat them. If that didn't work I would contact a therapist. I would consider putting her in a different sport if she wanted to try that.

• thats a good idea on making the food look healthier becasue if it looks like that when you eat it it makes you feel better. Trying a different sport is a good idea and she could allways go skating again without the pressure

• I would take them to a doctor and let them tell us how to handle the situation. I would let them continue skating once their bodies have returned to normal and have controlled their eating disorder.

• 1) If I were her parents, I would not allow my son or daughter to participate in these events. 

2) No, because I would not want this disorder get in their carrer

• Why wouldnt you let them particapate? What if it just happens and you dont know they have the dissorder who would you react when you find out about it?

• If I was their parents I would find help immediately. I would monitor their diet and exercise, and I would try to communicate to them that their body is perfect the way it is. Of course I would let them go back to skating because it is their life, if you took that away it would ultimately ruin them; however, I would want to show progress and improvement before allowing them to fully engage in ice skating again. 

• To be honest, I don't know how I would handle the situation. There is no one in my family that I know of that has had an eating disorder, so I wouldn't know how to sympathize. If I were the parent, I would do my best to help Gracie or Yulia through therapy or even just helping the girls be more confident with themselves, giving them constant compliments to lift their spirits whenever I can. I would probably allow them to go back to skating if it's what they loved to do, but I would definitely set some rules about eating properly before they can continue.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker