Fettuccine Alfredo History

The fettuccine alfredo we currently have and commonly know has not always been as it is now. Serving fettuccine with butter and cheese was first in a 15-century recipe for “Roman pasta”. Mentioned by an Italian cook active in Rome. The recipe said to cook the pasta in water or broth and add butter, “good cheese”, and “sweet spices”. The recipe never said what type of cheese or specific spices. Modern Rome fettuccine alfredo was made in Rome by Alfredo Di Lelio, once brought to different locations the taste changed to make it more popular. Alfredo worked in a restaurant run by his mother, and he invented “fettuccine al triplo burro”, later named “fettuccine all’Alfredo” or “fettuccine Alfredo”.

The whole reason fettuccine alfredo was made was to try to find something that seemed appealing for his wife to eat, this was after she had given birth to their first child Armando in 1908. The way that Alfredo tried to make food seem more appealing to his wife was by adding butter and fresh Parmesan. Alfredo’s wife, Ines, was very weak after having their child and Alfredo wanted her to eat so she would regain strength. She ended up quite liking the dish and suggested he add it to the menu of their small restaurant. Part of his success was brought by Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford, two famous actors. They were on their honeymoon in Rome when they tried some of Alfredo’s delicious and original dishes. After they tried it they made and gifted him two gold tableware as a tribute to his friendly and warm welcome. The gift was a fork and spoon made of solid gold engraved to say “To Alfredo the King of the noodles”.

Fettuccine alfredo is not served in Italy with the exception of two restaurants. The name “Alfredo sauce” is barely if at all used in Italy, though there are similar pasta sauces. The two restaurants that still have the original taste are “Alfredo alla Scrofa” and “Il vero Alfredo” (the real Alfredo). The restaurant “Il vero Alfredo” is owned by the family, it was owned by Alfredo, then his son Armando (until 1982), now owned by Armando’s son Alfredo III and his sister Ines De Lenlio. This restaurant is popular for North American tourists who want to taste the original alfredo recipe.

I quite enjoy fettuccine alfredo with some chicken. This is one thing I order at some restaurants. I found it quite interesting how the real fettuccine alfredo is nothing like what is known now by Americans, this is an example of something that was americanized. How it was americanized is that it is a lot more creamy in America and made with different ingredients (in order to make it creamy). Another example of this would be pizza, the pizza served in Italy is nothing like the pizza that many Americans know and love. Even if it was americanized, these two are still a couple of my favorite dishes.

Questions -
Do you think that dishes like fettuccine alfredo and pizza should have been americanized the way they were or should they have stayed the same?
Do you think that if the dish hadn’t changed it would be as popular as it is now?
Are there any dishes that don’t change from place to place like how fettuccine alfredo changed from Italy to America?

Links -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fettuccine_Alfredo 

https://www.disgracesonthemenu.com/2012/02/italian-myths.html 

https://www.ilveroalfredo.it/en/history/  

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Very interesting topic and well done Erin! 

• To be completely honest, I don't see a problem with this "Americanizing" food thing. When it comes to food like Alfredo and Pizza, I'm just focused on how good it is. Because I love alfredo and I have absolutely no clue if I have had the italian alfredo or not. 

• I don't think that the Americanized version has anything wrong with it. One of my favorite dinners is fettuccine alfredo and I've never had the original Italian version. I personally think that the dishes should not be changed. Frankly, as long as it tastes good, I don't care.

• You commented this exact same thing on the 13th which was two days ago and I already replied to it, so I do not understand why you sent the exact same thing twice.

• I feel like it should have stayed the same or at least both versions should be served in the United States. I feel it is important to honor the culture behind certain foods. Personally, I love American pizza and alfredo, and I would really like to try the authentic style of both of these dishes. 

• If both versoins were sold in the United States then one version would be eaten and the other one wouldn't be eaten much if any and that would probably shut down the tourist attraction that is the main reason why those restaurants are eaten at. I agree that it should be honored but I think that Americans would not really like it which is why it was Americanized.

• I think they should have kept the original visual it was. The origanal food has culture behind it it shows how that heritage and religion show their foods. i think it was wrong for use to Americanize other cultures food because its just rude. 

• I disagree it should not have been the same because if it had stayed the same then it would not have the popularity that it has today. I think it is kind of rude but I also think that lots of food needs to be changed so that people of that place will like it.

• I believe that they should have kept the original version. Food of culture is spectacular. It shows their heritage and religion. Isn’t America supposed to help people with their religious and cultural beliefs? We shouldn't Americanize other cultures. The origin of the food should stay the same. But I can understand how time  and lack of ingredients can change the recipe of the dish.

• I personally don't see an issue with "Americanizing" food, I think if people want to change them, they have every right to change them. We don't have to feel bad for changing food to things more people in America would like. I like the food the way it is now, so I don't care that they changed it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker